Need advice with my TWH

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Misty H, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I adopted a TWH on Oct 18th, where he lived was 7 other horses. Souvie is 19y/o and very passive. The previous owners had issues where there other horses would steal his food and he wouldn’t be able to eat. He had to either be kept in a small sand paddock or a stall because the other horses would beat on him. Now here comes my problem. We have 3 horses total on my farm. 2 quarter horses a mare and a gelding. And then my TWH. The two quarter horses stay in their own pasture, but do get let out to free roam at times. Souvie is fine with this but he keeps his distance. Now when it comes to riding Souvie it is completely different. Souvie will NOT refuses to ride alone. If there is not another horse for him to ride with he flips out. Won’t move and goes right back home. He will not saddle or tack up at his barn, he has to be by the other two horses. Not even in their pasture but has to see them. What do I do about this? Souvie any other time has great ground manners. He free roams the property all day and goes into his pasture at night. Genius Souvenir is the great grandson to the famous Midnight Sun. His dad is Prides Genius. He comes from a long line of dressage show horses. What can I do??? Please help, I really want Souvie to get his confidence back that he don’t need another horse with him to walk.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He has no faith in going somewhere with you. Doesn't believe you'll keep him safe. He feels safe only if another horse is with him.
    Get lessons with him or ride with someone.

3. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I do ride with my daughter in law. Where he was they didn’t ride him. And they only had him for 5 months! I have no idea how he was treated before that. You can tell he was abused at some point. He follows me all around everywhere I go. He comes when I call him. He lunges on his own without a lunge rope. He backs up when he is told. I was told he is a follower when it comes to riding he will not lead. But is there a way to break a 19y/o out of that if there was a past that put him that way?

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Sounds odd..as if buddy sour or maybe he needs his eyes checked. I wouldn't worry about his past, horses live in the now unless there's a trigger.

Have you had him vet checked? His eyes are what I'm thinking you need to have looked at.

If you have skills you should be able to handle this if he's buddy sour, but I'd have his eyes looked at. Horses tend to hang together if they've vision problems.

5. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

First I would check for pain. He could have had an ill fitting saddle in the past and there could still be damage or bed remembering the pain.
    If it's not pain, then I would do ground work with him. Not lunging in endless circles, real ground work. Stops, change direction, change gaits, etc.
    If this doesn't help, I personally would work him hard when around or in sight of the other horses. Then let him rest away from them. I have never had this not work.

6. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

He has been vet checked. He had a clean bill of health other then when I got him he was underweight. He has since gained weight very well and still continues. You can’t see his ribs anymore. He don’t like the other horses with him. Today they were let out there pasture to free roam the property and he made sure he stayed away from them but followed a distance behind. When they went into his pasture he came over to me with sad eyes and just stood there. Once I took them out of his pasture he went back to following them in a distance again. It’s weird how he is behaving. But he comes to me when he is sad and just wants loving. But he will not leave the perimeter of my property alone. Even walking him not riding just to go out by the woods and graze he runs back if he knows he is not near the other horses. I just don’t know what it is that bothers him.

7. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

This horse's name sounds familiar to me.

Did you post on a Facebook group about him over the weekend?

8. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I have done everything you mentioned. He does all very well. He just will not go trail walk without another horse. I have had a ferrier do his hoofs they checked out great. I have had a chiropractor check his alignment and she said he is in perfect condition. There are no signs of ill fitting saddle. I did just order him a new saddle from National Bridal. Ordered a Tennessean saddle The Royal. Measurements were done and it’s being made to fit him perfect.( should be at $1400.00) but there are no signs of pain, or other issues. He rides great, canters does he gaits and all when he rides with a partner. Again I just don’t get it

9. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

N
    ot a Facebook no, but did post on the chronicle of horse forum.

10. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Also I have him on joint supplements too. I have all age required needs covered.