NEED ADVICE ON A MY HORSE WHO CHOKES

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Misty H, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

C757B217-79F2-4A6E-AEBF-D0B438553E37.jpeg 07A82C90-0FF7-440D-BA2A-D60223183ED2.jpeg hello all, I have a 20 year old TWH who has a history of choke. Well this week has been very bad. He colic early in the week, vey got out and after IV meds he was good. However 2 days later he started choking again, flushed him with the water hose and after some bits of hay came out he stopped coughing. Now today, he has started choking two different times both while eating hay. I contacted my vet again he stated that he believes Souvie has a narrowing of his esophagus and that now everything he eats needs to be mush. So today his feed was soaked and he ate it no problem. I have soaked alfalfa/ orchard he grabs a bit and starts coughing. He has no problem eating the hay while it is covered in water. I don’t know what to do at this point. I am worried he is going to have a coughing fit in the night and colic again. Does anyone or has anyone experienced this issue with a horse and have any recommendations? I don’t want to keep giving him banamin since it don’t seem to make a deference. What do I do? I am worried about my big boy I brought him back to life from an ass owner back in October and don’t want to lose him.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

My horse had several very severe chokes.

We soak her food. It's a beet pulp based, complete feed.

Misty H and OldGreyMare like this.
  3. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Give him a week off of hay. His throat needs time to heal up and for the inflammation to calm down.

After a week try a small amount of soaked hay cubes, soaked enough so they are completely broke apart, if he handles that ok for a few days try a very small amount of soaked soft hay. If you have access to chopped hay that is easier/faster to soak than cubes.

Use soaked hay pellets in the meantime in addition to whatever you feed him regularly for grain. Small amounts several times a day.

At this point the damage may be too bad for him to handle hay again. If he could do at least soaked cubes/chopped hay that would be ideal as they are still a long stem forage, better for the gut.

My old walker gelding was a chronic choker too :(

Misty H, doublelranch, Baboo and 2 others like this.
  4. PyroTekNik333

Also in the future please don't use a hose to try and clear a blockage. I know its an old school remedy that many still stand by but it really increases the risk of aspiration and pneumonia.
    Another old school remedy that doesn't have a downside except for not always working is hard liquor. 1 to 2cc orally is all you need. If its a mild choke that can sometimes relax the muscles enough to let it pass.

I would dose that and massage the throat for 40min to an hour before calling the vet in. It worked about half the time.

NaeNae, Misty H, doublelranch and 4 others like this.
  5. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

THIS! My gelding recent choked and after massaging, letting him walk around me while on a lead and halter, he finally was able to pass it just before the vet came. He coughed and out shot green, slimy, watery mix out his nose and mouth, several times before he was okay. Vet also had me give him banamine as well. Afterwards, I took his temp every day to ensure that he didn't aspire any down his lungs, as the first thing we would see is a fever, thank goodness he has been okay.

Now, I soak ALL their senior feed, give it to him in a nice warm slurry.You do what you have to do for the horse to ensure it is able to get the calories and nutrition down that he needs. Our horses are all 25....

Misty H, doublelranch and ginster like this.
  6. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Souvie is on purina senior. It is pellets that are moist already but I have been adding water to it to make it mush. And now I am soaking alfalfa flakes for him as well which he does not seem to care for. I took his roll of tifton 44 away from him he wouldn’t stop coughing/gagging when eating it

OldGreyMare likes this.
  7. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Last night after giving him some of the alfalfa that was soaked, only a handful or two, I checked this morning and he didn’t touch it. He was eating grass all day yesterday with no problem. But this morning unlike the last two I didn’t wake up to him being on the ground coughing/ gagging. He has only had one episode with me where all the goo and feed etc came out of his nose. Usually or I hope that I stop his episode before it even gets to that far. It’s just the constant coughing/gagging he does. I say both because I am not sure which he is doing. He coughs like something is stuck in his throat but never actually stops drinking water.

OldGreyMare likes this.
  8. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Does this work even after there has been a narrowing of the esophagus? I was reading up on a non evasive procedure they do with a ballon in the esophageal at the point where the narrowing is, to expand that tissue formation. Has anyone done this once there horse has already choked to many times?

9. PyroTekNik333

If hes coughing with no discharge you need to get his lungs listend to. He probably aspirated. Does he have a fever?
    Yes it worked about half the time for me with my gelding. He had scarring that narrowed his esophagus.
    He came to me with those issues so its only a guess but we (vet and I) think the condition of his teeth led to a choke that either wasn't taken care of right away or the root cause of choking (awful teeth) wasn't addressed so he choked repeatedly and that led to scarring.

Can't offer any advice on the balloon treatment.
    I never tried anything besides soaking feed because that worked just fine for him until he was into his 30s and at that point I wouldn't have tried anything anyway, he'd lived a long time and didn't owe me anything. He was pts for reasons unrelated to his choking.

Misty H and ginster like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Oh no, poor Souvie! Sending jingles! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Misty H likes this.