Need a narrow tree saddle - HELP!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Huntseat, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Huntseat

Huntseat Senior Member+

I need a narrow tree close contact and I can't find ANYTHING ANYWHERE. I really, really, really don't want to buy something brand new, but I've considered a cheaper new brand like M. Toulouse and even those are advertised as medium or wide trees. Are narrow horses really that uncommon? If anybody has a narrow tree close contact (good quality saddle) from 16.5" to 17.5" OR can help me find one that would be VERY much appreciated.

2. ponypony

ponypony Senior Member

Have you tired any saddles on your horse yet? Some medium trees run narrow and they may fit. I've heard Bevals are narrow, even old crosbys seem on the narrow side to me. Maybe if you can try some saddles at the local tack shop you'll get a good idea of what fits. Good luck.

3. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

Very few horses actually need narrow trees. If your horse has high withers, then consider finding a medium tree with a cut back pommel and see how that goes. Older Crosby Mark VI and Mark VII saddles have cut back pommels and medium trees that run a bit small. Here's a nice one that looks on the narrow side of Medium with a cut back pommel.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/17-inch-Crosby-Mark-VI-English-Saddle-with-Pad_W0QQitemZ330248314759

If you have a saddle fitter out and he/she confirms that your horse really does need a narrow tree, then I would look for a Stubben or Courbette in 28 or 29 cm tree, or try a saddle with the changeable gullet system, like Wintec, Bates, newer Collegiate saddles, and even some new Crosby and Pessoa saddles have changable gullets. You can also sometimes find older Crosbys with narrow trees.

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

I have to agree with luv - very very few horses really truly need a narrow tree. I have yet to see one who does, and I've asked several times on several boards. If yours *really* does, I would love to see pictures of the saddle on her. Honestly! I've been looking for such a horse for a long time, for no other reason than to see that a truly narrow horse looks like :)

Clearing the withers by using a narrow tree isn't the answer, if that's the route you're trying to take.

5. TB Jumpers

TB Jumpers Senior Member

i have an old TB that hase high withers and was ridden in a narrow gullet (wintec) but his shoulders got sore. so what i hade to do was get a med. tree and use a half pad.

But if your horse really needs a narrow saddle i would get a saddle where u can change the gullet on, and then if he dosent need a narrow all u have to do is change the gullet

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

And there you go - the saddle was fit to clear the withers but was too narrow for his shoulders, therefore he did not need a narrow saddle. The withers are not one of the major players in determining saddle fit. What you described is a very common situation, and is a big reason why too many horses are in saddles that are at least one size too small for them.

7. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member+

I read a post on Yahoo Answers (I thing) where somebody was looking for a narrower saddle to fit a TB. Someone answered Northrun Ashland medium, and the BDH, which I believe is sold by Dover. Thornhill 24K comes in various tree widths.

8. Huntseat

Huntseat Senior Member+

She is quite narrow. She doesn't have high withers at all, it isn't wither clearance that I'm having a problem with. My boss has a narrow tree Crosby that fits her beautifully, and if it was for sale I would buy it in a heartbeat. Anything too wide sits down too far, and although there is plenty of clearance for her withers through the gullet, it pinches her pretty badly and makes her sore. I have tried every saddle in the barn (it is a mostly TB barn, so there are some other relatively narrow horses) and not one saddle is narrow enough.

9. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

A horse with no muscling alongside the withers can "fit" into a narrow tree, but that does not make it right, as that leaves no room, at all, for muscle growth.

Any chance you could put up a picture of her - one from the side, one looking down her back from behind, and one with a saddle that you feel is a little too big for her?

10. Jenje!

Jenje! Senior Member+

Mae or Melody?