Navicular Syndrome

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RG NIGHT HEIR, Feb 24, 2018.

1. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Bummer, I think that's what Tildren and Osphos are for?

2. RG NIGHT HEIR

Chip is doing better as of Wednesday.
    He is more forward and is the goof himself again.Some jogging and walking for 20 minutes. I could maybe see a tiny bit short straight on left but nothing on right. Ears are up and happily jogging along.
    Will give him another week off only some groundwork every other day and Bute him that day.
    I also started Venice Turpentine ,will do that for 1 week.
    Hopefully that will do it.

GONE ROPING, GotaDunQH and ginster like this.
  3. RG NIGHT HEIR

Got on him bareback yesterday walking him around so I can feel him better.He looks sound in both directions but felt weird when walking. His right shoulder muscle feels different than his left. Never felt that before. Could it be possibly from the balancing and he has to use his body different now? He always has been overloading his right ( could hear it when walking on hard ground) ,difficult to hear now with him being barefoot. Will have farrier come out again to check and see if he needs egg bars or something like that. No heat, he's happy, moving forward on his own.

ginster likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

If he was compensating for one leg over a longer period I wouldn't be surprised if he he had some muscle tenseness.
    Maybe a massage would help?
    You said he has always been overloading on one side- is this due to his conformation? Or is it possible that he had issues for longer than his current lameness?

5. RG NIGHT HEIR

Left is his club foot so maybe it's just the landing of the hoof? He was only trotting off when I first got him 3 yrs ago because his left club foot was a grade 3 and his hooves were all off by 8 degrees. Took a year to have him go evenly but the sound of overloading his right never went away. Yes,his shoulders are different too,which was much worse but better now,though not even.Right shoulder per Vet is higher due to the muscles not holding the scapula down as he is carrying weight more left when standing. He always stands with his left foot back .
    Will restart Chiro and massage again.Im back to work now so have the $$ to pay for it.

6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Weird his puts his club foot back. A horse I had did the opposite, but his was more like a grade 1 club foot.

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

@lshort5 - this thread is about navicular, not laminitis. and no offense, but you do not need to post the same post on multiple threads.

if you want people to answer your survey, start a new thread

8. RG NIGHT HEIR

Chip got shoes on with a lot of help for the roll over. WOW I can't hear him favoring the right front anymore. He is forward going with ears up and he feels even and sound. Will do a ride for my reining trainer tomorrow to watch him go so he can start training if he looks and feels fine. So happy. ..

9. RG NIGHT HEIR

Pulled a shoe twice already,argh.
    He plays like wild man with his pasture buddy a Polish Arab.
    Duct tape and in the corral he went.
    Now I'm at a loss what to do.He wears
    Horze Bell boots medium size,which barely touch the ground. Maybe go to large?
    I don't want him pulling a shoe every week . Farrier isn't going to like this and I don't want my horse being gimpy.
    I asked to place me on a waiting list for a separate" pasture ".I feel bad taking him away from his play buddy, but I want to be able to ride,too.Following my goals I had in mind.

Charliemyheart likes this.
  10. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Post hoof pictures again.

Usually when shoes are being thrown... the hoof is still not balanced or shod correctly.

LoveTrail, GotaDunQH, Arem and 2 others like this.