Navicular Syndrome

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RG NIGHT HEIR, Feb 24, 2018.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I hope he gets better!! If he's barefoot, it could also be sole tenderness. You can toughen up his soles with venice turpentine....paint some on the sole with a brush.

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

@IIIBarsV since you’re around again....

3. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I was trying to order Tomorrow or Today but that is not allowed to be shipped into California.
    Will try the Venice Turpentine. Do I need to get it at a specialty paint shop?

4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

If you have a tack shop near you, they would have it. It's much thicker than regular hardware store turpentine....although I also used some of that to cut the thickness a little. I owned an AQHA mare than had REALLY tender soles after a trim. She would be ouchy and sometimes abcess, so I used that and it toughened her soles up in a week....no more problems.

5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

If the Today/Tomorrow is for the thrush, I have one other suggestion that takes care of it: 50/50 mix of Neosporin with pain relief (generic is fine) and athlete's foot cream. It is cheap, lasts forever, and takes care of thrush better than anything else I've tried. If it is muddy where you are, I wouldn't hesitate to do a diaper/vet wrap boot until it gets a little farther along in its healing.

ginster and Arem like this.
  6. RG NIGHT HEIR

Thank you I found it at our local tack store. Expensive but worth trying and it smells like Pine my favorite.
    I applied it before groundwork today ,he moved so much better. Of course now I don't know if he's just better or instant results from the Venice Turpentine? ?
    Will check tomorrow. On the instructions it says to put brown paper on the sole after applying it.Didn't know until at the barn reading directions duh.

7. RG NIGHT HEIR

Yeah,Southern California here,no mud. He has some thrush that I can control being diligent about it. My E-x trainer didn't keep up with that,so now I'm playing the catch up game .I thought that Tomorrow helps with thrush and hardens the sole, too.Ill keep your recipe in mind if we have muddy conditions like we had last year.

8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

BOT bell boots helped my NS horse more than anything we tried.

9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Good! Do it for a couple days.....then see what your results are.

10. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

There is a difference between porous and demineralization. We're dealing with the latter now with Boomer :(

stephanie likes this.