NaNoWriMo anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tucklove, Nov 8, 2018.

1. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

I had never heard of it until one of the vets I work for told me about it. November Novel Writing Month where you write 50,000 words in 30 days. Just curious if anyone else is on it this year. I'm having a lot of fun with it. On track to be done the 29th.

Arem likes this.
  2. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

I'm at 25000 currently. First couple days I was banging out 5k a day, which is great because I haven't written anything for the last few days. No time.

Arem likes this.
  3. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Ha, 5k a day! Sheesh! I only have about an hour a day to write so I have to get those 1700 down pretty quick. I wish I had more time but you know, work, horses, dogs, chores, sleep- that stuff really eats your day.

What are you writing? Something totally new? New with old characters? First time?

Arem likes this.
  4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

It's a YA that I've had bouncing around in my head is one form or another for the last 5 or 6 years. I'm a bit of a rebel this year as I had 10k words written in October, but I'm not counting those words. This is my 8th year doing NaNo.

Arem likes this.
  5. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

There are other writers here! Yay! :loveflag:

I’m not doing it this year but I’ve done it in the past. It is a BLAST. I’m working on a novel at my own pace this year.

What genre are your guys’ stories? Ziast, I see you’re writing YA. Fantasy? Contemporary?

Arem likes this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I’m not doing it this year, nor did I do it last, but I did it for about 10 years and finished successfully 6 times! (In a row! The last 6 years I participated)

I’m just too busy now. :( The last year I participated, I nearly fell asleep writing every night and I’ve just kept getting busier ever since.

I *might* have been able to pull it off this year, but it’s hard to write something new when I have 5 manuscripts that need attention (2 of my 6 are rewrites of the same story.) But writing for the first time, or even completely rewriting something I tried before, is so much more fun than editing! :p

Maybe next year I’ll have everything sorted out so I can try again. I have an idea for a complete re-write of one of my failed NaNo novels. It would be version 3 of that particular story, but this one might actually have a chance and being good.

SparkleDust likes this.
  7. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

I agree that editing is no fun. BUT, I’m glad to say that I enjoy rewriting—which is great, because most manuscripts can really use it! One author (can’t remember which now) said she rewrote her novel over 20 times before it was published! :eek:

Arem likes this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Yeah. 2 of my five need rewrites and one other needs some reworking. (Not a total rewrite. More like a partial rewrite) And one of those is already a rewrite of a version that never got finished. :p

The other 2 are workable, but need extensive editing. Ba humbug. :p

SparkleDust likes this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I thought about it, but I really didn't have time.
    Maybe next year. I've done it before, and had a lot of fun.

SparkleDust and Arem like this.
  10. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

This is my first year participating in the regional events and groups. So far it's pretty cool. There's a write-in this weekend down the street from me, so I'm going to that. I went to the Nov 1 write-in too. My region had a discord chat going too where we do sprint and word wars.

SparkleDust likes this.