Name difficulties.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dona Worry, Jan 17, 2018.

?

Keep correcting or let it go?

1. Yes, correct it! It's distracting, and you deserve to hear your name said correctly.

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. No, let it go. How have you not learned to ignore this already?

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. I have something different to say, I'll tell you below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I have a unique name. It isn't a difficult name--six letters, two syllables, common sounds in the English language--but it is a highly unusual name. Nobody gets it right. Ever. I always have to repeat it, spell it (which is amazingly unhelpful) and sometimes correct the pronunciation again.
    So.
    Calypso's BO can NOT get my name right. She says it wrong. Really wrong. Stuffs an extra syllable in and changes a letter to a different one. I've corrected her a couple of times, but I hate to keep correcting people over and over because it just gets. . . Awkward.
    But today.
    She introduced me to four other people.
    By the wrong name.
    Who all started calling me
    BY THE WRONG NAME.
    I didn't correct them--I was riding!-- but it grated on me like fingernails on a chalkboard and I wanted to scream by the end of the lesson because both BO and the instructor today are the type of people that use names all the freaking time.
    Like, "DooAna, give him more of a squeeze! Good job, DooAna!"
    It's so dang ANNOYING.
    But it is petty and stupid and continually correcting people about will probably not actually achieve anything expect to make them feel really awkward.
    So, should I speak up and correct it? Or not?

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I have a simple, fairly common name. Unfortunately, it sounds very very very similar to another name. Guess which one I get called all of the time.

I used to just ignore it and answer to it anyway. But somewhere along the line I just starting playing dumb and ignoring people until they called me the right name. After all, no one else is expected to answer to a name that isn’t theirs, right?

You deserve to be called your name. Correct people.

endurgirl likes this.
  3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

"My. Name. Is. [insert name here]".

Or you can start calling the BO the wrong name until she gets your point. ;)

ginster and Arem like this.
  4. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Your name is yours, correct them.

Ms_Pigeon and Arem like this.
  5. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

Own your name. Correct them, just be nice about it.
    "Sorry, I just have to mention that it's ____, not ___." Smile and don't mention it again if they get it right. People don't like to be called out, once is enough.

VermilionStrife and Dona Worry like this.
  6. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I go by my last name at work, its an amazingly simple name, but always gets butchered. I will correct them, unless they outrank me by a ton, then tell them to call me my nickname since its easier.

It used to drive me mad, but at the same time they could call you hey you or other names.

7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

What is it about people that can't pronounce names? People pronounce my name incorrectly all the time too. You literally say my name the way it is spelled. It's not hard. I get really irritated about it too.

I would let them know what your name's actual pronunciation is.

ginster likes this.
  8. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Correct them. Mine is also rare but easy to say and often butchered, my last name is a fairly common word but very rare as a name. Most people can say it perfectly or they go pale at the length and panic about pronouncing it.

9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

You could take the mature route and correct them. Or you could do what I would do: Correct them once, maybe twice... and then ignore them until they get it right. It's your name; it's just common courtesy for people to at least try to get it right after you've corrected them multiple times.

Pirate and Arem like this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

I ignore them. I have an unusual last name. Every one mispronounces it. I used to joke that my own mother mispronounced the last name.

OldGreyMare likes this.