mystery "lameness"

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by qtrpony, Aug 7, 2018.

1. qtrpony

qtrpony Registered

So I can emotionally prepare my kid for tomorrow’s vet visit... does your comment indicate neuro or physical ailment. Everything I read mentions weak hind end=neuro=no riding

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I don't have the feeling it is neurological because, as it has been untreated for so long, she would be getting worse, more likely, than staying the same. But no telling for sure unless you test for it.

I'm leaning more towards an old back/hip injury that has forced the horse to adjust it's stride and cause damage to the near hind from overworking the joints on that side. This can cause a lot of arthritic changes, when a horse's gait is off for extended periods of time.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. qtrpony

qtrpony Registered

Thanks for your insight and help. Either outcome doesn't sound too promising. She's ours forever but it would be nice to have an answer to her strong dislike of going left. thanks again.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You do have an answer to that. She told you; it hurts when she turns that way. Whether you can fix it or not is the answer you need. :(

Best of luck with finding out what's actually going on and curing it. Jingling for you. (y)

5. qtrpony

qtrpony Registered

exactly. such a bummer. she's young only 9.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. qtrpony

qtrpony Registered

Update: vet feels strongly it’s epm. Xrayed AND ultra sound basically entire hind end from SI area down to feet. All clean and beautiful. Passed flexions fine. Said yup it’s like two different horses her front end is great and hind end a mess. Rode her tracking right and she looks great turned left and she became a diff horse, refusing to move and when did move couldn’t get lead and looked awful. Failed tail pull test she continued to walk crooked without a care in the world. Crossfired on the lunge both ways. Just thought I’d post in case others had similar symptoms. Vet says it’s mild but we are still crushed obviously

ginster and manesntails like this.
  7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

But if it is, the horse is not in pain, since it has stayed the same for years it will probably for the rest of the horses life, and light riding seems to be rather good because it strengthens the musculature.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Did the vet pull blood to test for EPM? It is treatable. Not saying you’ll have a perfect horse in the end, but worth a shot to try & see how much you can improve.

ginster, manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. qtrpony

qtrpony Registered

Yes we are waiting results but she recommends starting treatment now