mystery "lameness"

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by qtrpony, Aug 7, 2018.

1. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

Obviously its ideal to x ray but not everybody wants to spend the money on them right off the bat and they aren't always nessescary. It costs 160 for me to inject a hock and 200 to x ray. If I inject the hock it only costs me 160 dollars. If I x ray for 200 and then find out the hock needs to be injected its 360 per hock. Now if it isn't fixable by injections you have wasted the 160 but if it works you have saved yourself 200. If my 5 yr old mare starts getting a little sore in the hocks, and maybe their just fusing and she's showing all the symptoms I'm just going to inject...per my vets recommendation of course. I think this particular mare should be x rayed because she has had symptoms continuing for a long period of time and likely has issues that need more diagnostics

manesntails likes this.
  2. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

It's quite common in many "necks of the woods".

For certain things, you can reasonably decide that it may need to be injected without X-Rays. I've had a handful of STBs and the odd QH that have had their hocks injected without X-Rays and that helped enormously.

manesntails likes this.
  3. qtrpony

qtrpony Registered

well we are 4 weeks post hock injections and zero change. she has moved this way the entire year we have owned her. so vet will be back out this Friday for further workup. I guess best case is the hind slipping/buckling on the downward transitions is stifle/si issue that can be fixed and not something neurological. the high arch of the hind legs at the trot is what worries me the most. she's ok a the walk and canter. she backs up fine, passes tail pull test, can do tight circles fine (no balance or feet placement issues)

~tiffy~ likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Her hind end movement is peculiar. She seems to stab down with both legs and she doesn't really get under herself.
    I defintely wouldn',t jump her, or ride her, really, before this is checked up.
    Can you haul to a vet clinic?

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If she isn't landing toe first behind, we call that “stabbing“, it is not the stifles, and from what I can see, it doesn't look like she is.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. qtrpony

qtrpony Registered

nope definitely does not land toe first. I slowed down the videos to slow mo. its a inward swing but they land behind the front feet perfectly. its just so baffling. she tracks up pretty darn good, I checked the footprints in the sand arena. its just that in between time of the flight arc its un naturally high. she will dip down to hard pressure over the lumbar area of her back too. AND the giving out on the hind end doesn't happen all the time. maybe 1 out of 3 rides and ONLY if the rider goes from canter to walk or canter to halt or tries for lead change in a corner. canter to trot and trot to walk never happens. its confusing and upsetting. horse can back up all day long, in fact that is her direction of choice these days it seems. i'll just have to figure out how to not drive myself crazy until Friday's appt.

7. manesntails

If I were you I would get an MRI on her pelvis, if you want to go this route.

8. qtrpony

qtrpony Registered

9. slc

slc Senior Member

I won't. I want an initial diagnosis/xray. They're freakin' cheap. It's fine I think to do subsequent injections without if it seems like the same as the original issue.

10. manesntails

There's a lot of twisting and weakness in every joint of the left hind.