My new horse Mark!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Rachel1786, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

On Mark? Wouldn 't enter him abywhere just yet. He is still needing to put on some more weight.
    i know you said your vet wanted him ridden to built up his muscles but I would work with him from the ground on that. Or pony him.

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I would also not ride him until he gains more weight.

Work on ground driving and ponying for now.

Does your show have any in hand or halter classes?

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I don't think one walk/trot class is going to be any big deal as long as he's sound, it's not like he's that bad. I'm not there though.

~tiffy~ likes this.
  4. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Sorry I've been MIA, my 48 year old gelding Blue was put down Wednesday morning and I've been an absolutely mess, I had him for 20 years, since I was 12.

He is gaining weight really well, I asked the vet about his weight and she said he is a bit thin and lacking muscle but definitely not to the point that he can't be ridden. I don't have a suitable horse to pony him from.

Its a dressage and combined training show, intro A is mostly walk with some 20 meter trot circles and Intro B is a bit more trot, they are really short simple tests, less then 5 minutes each(longer if your horse walks slow lol).

He really isn't, if he's standing still I can't even see ribs any more. Soundness will be the key, the day Blue was put down he came in a bit ouchy again. I think its from stomping at flies, and occasionally running from them, I tried to help him by putting Bella's old macs G2 hoof boot on for turnout and it ended up rubbing the poor guys pastern :sick:, I just can't win.Its supposed to rain all weekend so I might not be able to ride regardless of soundness, and I'll talk to my trainer on Monday about her policy on refunds on entry fees should he be lame again

Bakkir, ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Keep a good thought and cover bases, sounds like a plan. ;)

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I amso sorry for your loss. Is Mark a cuddly horse? If so, let him soothe you with cuddling. If not, just sit with him. I always find hearing them chew hay or grass incredibly relaxing.
    Just take it easy. If he is sound and you 're up to it, take him and show. If not, there'll always be another show..
    *hugs*

7. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Thanks guys, its been really tough, especially just shy of 3 months(tomorrow will be 3 months) of unexpectedly loosing legacy. I knew that Blue's time was coming for a few weeks, he wasn't eating like he normally would and he had dropped a lot of weight from that but I couldn't bring myself to make the decision (we had said before winter), so when he went down(not sure if he went down to roll and couldn't get back up or what) we just decided it was time.
    Anyway, my trainer said that if we have to scratch due to soundness she won't charge me, so if I can finally get on him(if the rain ever stops!) Hopefully we'll go to the show. I'm already riding one of the lesson horses at first level, so I'll be showing reguardless.
    Got a few new pics of him today..."did you say dinner time? I'll be right over!"
    He's also got a friend now, our donkey was very upset about Blue (they were together for 20 years) so we brought him over to be next to mark, and he decided that wasn't good enough so he went under the tape to be in with him lol.
    20180814_165109.jpg 20180814_165111.jpg 20180814_165116.jpg

ginster, Bakkir and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Got a few pics this afternoon with donkey man with him. Mark picks on him a bit(like when the bugs are bad), but donkey can go under the tape if he feels the need.
    20180816_122835.jpg 20180816_122925.jpg 20180816_122927.jpg 20180816_122948.jpg 20180816_123015.jpg

Also, this finally happened tonight!
    PSX_20180816_195433.jpg

He was super good! We only walked and trotted with a little lateral work but he was excellent! We lunged first just to make sure he was sound and sane lol and both looked good, he might have felt a hair off trotting under saddle, but having only ridden him once 2 months ago, I can't say for sure, if he was, it wasn't much.
    I'm thinking we're gonna try to go to the show! I'm pretty sure the last time he was ridden was by me so for him to have 2 months off and behave like a perfect gentleman under saddle, I'm impressed. Bugs were absolutely horrible, but he still listened great.

CheyAut, ginster and Bakkir like this.
  9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

He is so handsome. Donkey man is pretty cute. He probably feels lonely if he is putting up with Mark. Poor little dude...
    Btw- I really like the turquoise you picked for Mark. (y)
    Have fun at the show!

10. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Legacy used to pick on him too, he had a bit of a break when we lost him, mark isn't nearly as bad as legacy was, he would get into a mood where he would just chase him around biting his butt sometimes, when Bella was with them she would always intervene and protect the donkey, she treated him like her foal. I don't want to put them together again because she'll have a hissy fit about being in with him staying out lol.

I wasn't too sold on the color at first(my son picked it out after me telling him no on a few and not having them in Marks size on a few others) but once I saw it on him, I really liked it!

I'm a bit worried about getting to the show, my mom said I can use her truck, but the only time I ever pulled a trailer was about 50' to move it in the pasture to reach the hose, and I've never pulled it with a horse or on the road. Its only only a 20 minute drive, but its all windy roads and down "the mountain" which is a few miles of curvy steep downhill to get there. I'll have to see if I can get a chance to practice during the week lol hopeing for later ride times for both horses so I don't have to make multiple trips and be able to give myself extra time because if its early ride times I'll talk myself out of getting out of bed earlier then absolutely necessary lol

ginster likes this.