My new horse Mark!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Rachel1786, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

That was my thought when he said about the smell (my nose has been stuffy because of the cold so I didn't really smell it) but he said its definitely not a thrush smell and doesn't see indicators of thrush, although he does have, the name is escaping me, the gap in the center of his frog near the heel, so I have been putting no thrush powder in there as a precaution.

2. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

So I'm thinking part of the issues with his heel is the excess moisture from having it wrapped, so I unwrapped it to let it breathe and added some no thrush powder to the moist area. Here are pics of his hoof from a few minutes ago.
    20190123_133928.jpg 20190123_133853.jpg 20190123_135748.jpg

3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

So as not to step on toes here, but seeing as how I love Mark...

I don't love this trim. I think the farrier is leaving the heels too long. They are running under and not allowing his frog to make contact with the ground.

The heels and bars are starting to pinch the frog. The central sulcus looks thrushy.

Before worrying about smzs, I'd put up a hoof critique thread, and/or have another farrier out.

There's a lot of spare hoof for being the day after a trim.

mygirl1197, DelP and ginster like this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Is his left hind a club foot?
    That looks mighty ouchy..
    Poor Mark.

5. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

He only addressed the abscessed hoof just enough to open to to get it draining and help make him comfortable, once hes feeling sounder in a few days he is going to fit him with a heartbar shoes on that foot and trim the others.

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

How long since his last trim? Just asking because unbalanced hooves can contribute to a lot of problems..

7. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

He was last done right before Thanksgiving. The farrier mentioned that his hooves are showing a lot of uneven growth since this stuff started with the abcess, he has a lot of growth rings on both hinds which he said on the bad foot is from the abscess and on the good foot from supporting the excess weight. He was way too uncomfortable to have a full trim done yesterday. He is at least putting a lot more weight on it today, before the farrier was out he hardly wanted to put any weight on it

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Yeah, that is a long time between trims. Eight weeks? Due to the earlier abscess probably?
    I hope he's well enough to get a proper trim when the farrier comes back out.
    Jingling for you guys!

9. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

They get done every 6-8 weeks depending on the farriers schedule and coordinating with everyone at the barn to ensure it works for everyone. Lately it's been closer to 8 due to some conflicts in scheduling. My farrier has actually only trimmed Mark twice since I've had him (this will be the 3rd) since he had just been done when I had gotten him. I've been using him for at least 15 years, he does a lot of continuing education and some shoeing competitions (he competed over seas in Europe a few months ago). We have a limited number of farriers in our area, the one a lot of people I know use(including the barn where I take lessons) does absolutely terrible work, years ago I had moved Bella to a boarding barn that was too far for my farrier to go to for one horse, so i used the farrier that they used (already knowing i wasn't a fan of his work but didn't have many options) after 1 trim, Bella was tender footed for 4 months. Anyway, I love my farrier, he came out first thing on a Friday morning when I messaged him Thursday night that Mark was showing signs of an abcess, he is always reliable, never once has he no showed on me and he always keeps me informed when he is running late. Best of all, besides this abcess stuff, he keeps my horses sound. He did Blue at least 15 of the 20 years I had him and he never once had any hoof related lameness )only old hock injury lameness). I'll post some more pics after he comes back out.
    With how sore Mark was yesterday he didn't think he could tolerate a full trim, let alone nailing a shoe on, he wanted to give him a few days to hopefully improve before doing anything extensive.

Sorry for the short replies earlier, I was at work. It's been a heck of a bad week, I'm running our dog boarding kennel while my mom is on vacation from 1/8(thanks for leaving the day after my birthday lmao :rolleyes:) until the beginning of March and everything is falling a part, seriously 3 different heaters stopped working Monday when it was -9, then the space heater kept blowing the breaker, finally got the one heater working, had to have someone fix the other and the play room heater apparently just decided to work again. Then today I dropped my car off at the shop this morning and it won't be ready till tomorrow and had to rush to pick up my son because I found out his afterschool was closing at 5 so I took my moms truck(big F250 with a plow on it) and about a mile down the road it started making a horrible whiny siren type noise and then thumping, it got so bad I pulled over and called her and when she heard it she was like "wtf is that" lol so that was reassuring, I made to my house (which is only about 4 miles from work) and called by hubby practically in tears because I was so stressed....so anyway, it's only Wednesday and I feel this week will never end, oh and I also can't find my moms set of keys which has the safe key on it, so that's great, I'm hoping that they just fell out of my purse and are in my car, so I'll check tomorrow when I have to try not to die driving her truck to the shop...is it March yet :crazy::faint::bawling::willynilly:

ginster likes this.
  10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Oh wow, when it rains, etc..
    Hope things will go more smoothly from now on!
    Happy belated b'day!!

Rachel1786 likes this.