My little rescue......

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Cheryl Lampton, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Cheryl Lampton

Cheryl Lampton Registered

Hello, I have recently rescued this little girl from a cruel man. I created a post earlier, but the conversation got heated and deleted before I saw any of it. Please understand that I am the rescuer and trying to help this little sweet girl. Her name is now Spirit. I have had some work done on her back hoofs and she is looking much better....gaining weight and her back has come up greatly. She even like to run now, which she couldn't do before.

Please do not be rude when replying.....I am just trying to get more ideas on how to help this sweet girl...

Posted, are pics when I first saw her..........
    And pics of after just 3 weeks with me........

Attached Files:

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Welcome back! Glad to see you were brave enough to return!
    I do have a few questions for you.
    How old is Spirit? Has she seen a vet? How long after she had seen a farrier were those pictures taken?

Cheryl Lampton and Nu5ha like this.
  3. Cheryl Lampton

I was told she was born in Sept of 2015, however, after checking her teeth, she is about 2 years old. The vet will be there Tuesday along with my 2 farriers. The vet would have come sooner, but because she never had hands on her, he wanted to let her get more comfortable after having her hoofs trimmed and being moved to her new home away from her mom.. the last three pics, where she is more up on her hoofs, we're taken the day after the farrier trimmed them. The ones where her legs are folded under her, she had never seen a farrier. Me and some of my close horse rescue group in this area are trying to remove the other 7 horses the man has. Spirit came first because of her condition. But the sheriff wouldn't remove her, so I bought her.

4. Cheryl Lampton

Spirit is getting braces for her legs and special shoes to help her get back on her feet. It's going to be a long process but her future is looking bright. I plan to spoil her with all she needs and wants. She already follows me everywhere and throws a fit if I go out to the other horses we have in the pasture.

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I will say I am not at all optimistic about her prognosis, she looks like there is permanent damage to those hind legs.
    But, I am eager to hear what the vet says. I would very much like to hear an assessment of how much pain she is likely to be in as she gains weight.
    Good luck, I will wish you the best!
    I do hope that if the vet gives a poor prognosis you will let her get put to sleep peacefully, having known some love and comfort in her last days rather than try and force her legs into a painful new position, but I hope for everyone's sake you have a good vet that can help you both.

GONE ROPING and RG NIGHT HEIR like this.
  6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Bad idea. Apart from these health issues she is just a very normal horse, please treat her as such, or she will turn into a pain in the rear, might even beome dangerous for people. Horses are NOT pet dogs.

With these legs, keep her as lean as humanely possible as every pound more in weight will have to be carried by those crippled legs, and if she can not be made pain free, have her put down.

Good luck for the rehab...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I hope the appointment with the vet and farriers went well today, and that you update us on whatever news you have.