My horses tail is gone!

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by HannahLeigh10, Jul 25, 2009.

1. HannahLeigh10

HannahLeigh10 Senior Member

So I moved my guy to a new barn maybe 5 days ago. Came out 2 days ago and noticed his tail looked a little thin, I just figured he got it caught in a fence. Then I came out yesterday and NO TAIL. His georgous, thick, touching the ground tail.....disappeared up to the bottom of his tail bone. And apparently the mastiff puppies had grabbed a hold and torn his entire tail out. And my horse being a sweetie didnt kick them....he just stood there and took it.

SOOOO i need tail growing remedies! His tail looks like an appy tail now....well not the nice ones, but the sort whisppy ones. I have accepted the fact it will probly take like 4 years to grow back out.....but anything to help speed it up will be appreciated. I will get pics tomorrow when I go out there!

2. Ransomsgurl

Ransomsgurl Senior Member+

:eek: o wow..... i used mane and tail shampoo and conditioner on Ransoms when his got cut off..... maybe thatll help? so so sorry!

3. Lyrical Lass

Lyrical Lass Senior Member

WOW ... I don't know about help for Quick Growing tails back ...
    But I'll tell You This .... were I You ...
    I'd Be Abso-feck'n-lutely FURIOUS with the Barn Owners :flaming:
    ( I'm assuming the mastiff puppies belong to them?? )
    ~ Lyrical Lass

4. HannahLeigh10

HannahLeigh10 Senior Member

Yes they do belong to them. But we had no idea thats why his tail had thinned....until she looked out the window and saw them in action and went out and put them away and kept them locked up. Out of the 9 horses they had to choose from, of course it had to be my horse! Just my luck lately. Between breaking my arm and having to move out of my apartment and move my horse. And now no tail. Whats next?!

5. jmpappjmp

jmpappjmp Full Member

I have an App mare. Her diet has helped. I switched grains and her mane and tail have gotten fuller. In the winter I use MTG, but I don't like the smell. No matter what don't expect his tail to grow overnight. It's going to be a long process to get it back to how it was. Many people will recommend different things. MTG can work. Microtek Rebuilder is a much nicer, but expensive alternative.
    But with the MTG I'll wash her tail, then massage her tail bone with it. Really working in the roots. Adding a tail bag can help (if you have enough tail left).
    You're gonna have to really work at it getting it longer. My girl's has gotten longer, but I've gotten a little lazy this summer.

6. mustangbluegirl

mustangbluegirl Senior Member

This happened to my mare early this spring. Still NO IDEA what happened. It was just GONE.. like a foot or more.
    I wrapped and MTG'ed it but someone pulled the wrap off. (no , not a horse. Trust me. )
    So.. until I change barns.. gonna give up for a bit.
    BUt.. i know how you feel!

7. Nikki.M.

Nikki.M. Full Member

I would say MTG, I used it on my mare when she lost half of her mane and it helped ALOT! I only put it on twice and I could see an improvement (small but noticeable.)

8. SaddleTrail

SaddleTrail Senior Member+

My dogs did the same thing to my minis mane and tail.
    I am going to attempt to even it up a bit. I also bought a elctric shock collar and if they touch him again they will be howling!!

9. FestyEskimo

FestyEskimo Full Member

definitly MTG. my horse had like 3 strands for a forelock so i pout that on her nad it grew out a lot in a few weeks :)

10. Vegashorselady

Vegashorselady Senior Member

Four years is about right. That's about how long it took my boy Blue's tail to grow out. When I bought him four years ago his tail was cut just above his hock, previous owners said that it had become so tangled in a tail bag that they had to just cut it.:rolleyez: I bought him in July four years ago and it was just this spring that it actually had to cut a couple inches off because it was dragging the ground.

I don't know what to tell you about speeding up the process. I don't think there is much you can do other than making sure he is getting a well balanced diet to optimize healthy growth and maintaining the tail to keep more hair from pulling out.