My horse poked his eye **GRAPHIC PICS**

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by livaliljequist, Oct 25, 2009.

1. livaliljequist

livaliljequist Senior Member

I didn't want to post about this but I guess I should in case it happens to someone else.

Tucker my yearling poked his eye a while back and I was certain he was going to loose his sight if not his whole eye. I don't know how it happened or really when it happened.....I had been so busy with school and life I didn't get to go check on my horses for a week other then the casual glance as they were grazing. I finally got a chance when it was day light to go visit with the ponies and Tucker just wasn't acting right....this is what I seen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I rushed him to the vet the vet said that he would sew his third eye lid and outer eye lid shut to keep him from irritating the eye....then he consulted with other vets and they all agreed to not sew the eye shut because with all the meds I have to give him one of them being a gel that can't be pushed through the iv.....so what they did was created an IV tube that ran from his withers to the back of his eye. He stayed at the vets a week and this is what the eye looked like when I brought him home
    [​IMG]

This is the IV going to the back of his eye
    [​IMG]

And here is the eye today....2 weeks back from the vet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The medications I am giving him is
    -eye serum which is made from drawing blood letting it clot and then spinning it down to where the white blood cells and plasma separates and that is the eye serum I give that to him every 2 hours .1cc,
    -Tobramycin Ophthalmic every 2 hours .1cc,
    -Itracon/DSMO every 4 hours this is the gel medication,
    -Atropine Sulfate every morning .1cc which dilates the eye,
    -Mieonazole .1cc every 8 hours, and
    -unaprim in his feed every morning. It is alot of work but his eye will be saved with only a small blind spot in the eye.....like a permanent dot in his vision....

I also have to keep him in a fly mask with a bra pad sewn in over that eye

2. TawnyLaRae803

TawnyLaRae803 Full Member

Awww, I'm sorry :( We had this happen to a horse of ours..she lost all of her sight in that eye, but was still one of the best horses we have owned. It doesn't bother them much. I've known of a few horses with sight in only one eye.

3. 4hooves4me2

4hooves4me2 Senior Member+

Wow-you have done an amazing job!

It certainly does look better for sure. I am so glad you DID post-this is a learning thread for sure!

Keep up the good work!

4. Luna9

Luna9 Senior Member+

WOW!! What a recovery! Very good job (for both you and the vets). So he will get his eyesight back??

5. livaliljequist

livaliljequist Senior Member

If I continue the medication yes....he can see from the eye now it's just like cloudy vision.....we go back to the vet tomorrow to get some more eye serum made and I will update the thread on what the vet says

6. Luna9

Luna9 Senior Member+

Thats awesome! Hope the vet has nothing but good news :)

7. Native Winds

Native Winds Senior Member+

Another good reason to personaly inspect each horse at least once a day. He is very lucky that the eye was savable.

I am glad that he is recovering well and I hope he continues to recover, continue on your diligent care and he should finish healing well. He will more than likely have a visible small scar on the eye itself. Keep us posted on his recovery.

8. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member+

This almost happened to us over the summer..I went out to inspect Athena and found her entire eye swollen shut. We couldn't find anything in it..and she seemed to be able to see from it.

We compressed it every 2 hours for 40 minutes each time. She hated it, we hated it.

By the next morning it was agreed if it hadn't gone down she was going to the vets.

We went out and she was good. We think she prodded her eye on a branch or something :eek: We'll never be sure.

She can be a bit iffy some times on that side..not sure if its b/c shes cloudy on that side..thanks for the reminder! I have to call the vet out to check that eye out!

Hopefully Tucker is feeling better soon! :D

9. jmook

jmook Full Member

WOW, that does look so much better!

10. jedy

jedy Senior Member+

Fantastic job, remarkable healing. Yes, he'll have a scar, but small one.