My horse is fat but I can still see his ribs...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by huntergirl27, Jul 27, 2008.

1. huntergirl27

huntergirl27 Senior Member

So...here's what's going on with my horse, Tucker.

He's a 16 year old OTTB who has always held his weight fine. I mean, he's always been athletic-looking,but never THIN. His ribs have always been feel-able, but never visible. But now...it's weird. I can see this horse's ribs. They aren't poking out or anything, but theyre definitely visible. however, he has a hay belly. I unfortunately dont have any pictures, but it looks like his fat just goes down instead of out.

He's getting 2 coffee cans full of grain twice a day, and is out on a pasture from 8AM-10 or 11PM. During those night time hours, he has free access to hay. He definitely works as he's a show horse, but this has never been a problem before. I've always worked hard with him,and we've always shown about as much as we do now. ****..a couple of years ago he was working WAY harder than he is now.

Does anyone have ANY idea as to what I could do to help get some fat over his ribs? I'm starting to get a bit worried about my boy. He's still working fine, and isn't showing any unusual fatigue. He's UTD on all shots, dewormings, etc. He always seems to be SLIGHTLY dehydrated, but this is probably just me being paranoid. I have someone else check if he's dehydrated(pinching skin) and they always tell me he looks fine and i'm just worried.

*sigh*...I don't know. Any and all help and/or opinions are appreciated.

2. Zypheir's Ring

Zypheir's Ring Senior Member+

Pictures would help if you can get them. What type of dewormer did you use?

3. huntergirl27

I'm not 100% sure of the kind they use at the barn I board him at, but I know it's the kind that was used on him where he used to be boarded. That was one of the things I checked on. I'll get the name next time I go out though(tomorrow,weather-permitting). I'll also try and snap some pictures.

4. Zeta

Zeta Senior Member

Has he become resistant to the wormer. Are his teeth ok,

5. huntergirl27

I'll double check with my coach to make sure he was still OK when they wormed him last(he usually doesnt mind much). We havent noticed anything wrong with his teeth, but I'll check that out too. He's still eating...he's eating a LOT,actually.

6. Zypheir's Ring

I guess I should say why I wanted to know. There is different types of wormers (try to find out the drug name, not the brand) Ivermectin,Moxidectin,Fenbendazole,Pyrantel pamoate,Praziquantel.

Each of those removes and prevents different worms, and parasites. So depending on what was used on him, he may still have worms or parasites that that certain dewormer didn't take care of.

:)

Here is some interesting information about dewormers.
    http://www.getrotationright.com/typesofdewormers.asp

7. huntergirl27

I saw the name on that page. I'm pretty sure he's on Zimecterin, but i'm not POSITIVE. All the horses there are on the same dewormer,though, and the rest of them are fine...
    I'll check anyway.

8. Zypheir's Ring

If he is on Zimecterin that means he is getting Ivermectin. So he could have those worms below.

"Ivermectin is not effective against:

• EL3 (Encysted early third-stage cyathostome larvae)
    • LL3 (Late third-stage cyathostome larvae)
    • L4 cyathostomes (Lumenal larvae and adult cyathostomes) "

9. huntergirl27

I know nothing about different types of worms. What do those worms to do a horse?

10. PeggySue

PeggySue Senior Member+

what is he eating ?? WHat kind of feed?? What brand?? What type of hay?? what it sounds like to me is low quality hay and lacking nutrition.. therefore he is nto able to USE what he is getting...