My horse doesnt want to eat all of his food.., help?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by I Heart Equine, Jul 31, 2010.

1. I Heart Equine

I Heart Equine Full Member

Just this morning my horse hasn't been wanting to eat all of his food, and it's not because he's not feeling good, cause he was running around playing with the other horses, and he's acting perfectly okay.. He just eats half of his food, then doesn't want anymore and he just did this this morning and night, we have been feeding him alot cause we're trying to put a little more weight on him. Idk if its because hes just so full, or because its so darn hot, he's been eating ALL of his hay and feed, so maybe he's just full, idk. Have any of your horses done this before?

2. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

My mare went off her feed whenever anything changed but she is a fussy eater. Is everything else about your horse normal? Pooping, mood etc?

Is it possible that the feed is old/yucky and he doesn't want it?

Is his bin dirty/different?

It could be a lot of things ;)

3. I Heart Equine

I Heart Equine Full Member

He's acting like he normally does, nothing else is wrong with him, he's just not eating all of it, and it might be old feed. I keep him at this girls house that boards horses, we're good friends, I go there everyday and she said everythings normal, he's acting fine, in a great mood, just doesn't wanna finish his feed. I'll have to ask her if she thinks the feed might be old.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member+

How much grain are you feeding? Too much is not good. If he needs weight, more hay and a fat supplement is better and safer than too much grain.

5. Lakyn

Lakyn Senior Member

Have his teeth checked. It might be that they are too sharp and cause him pain by eating.

Also if you're feeding any supplements, it could be your horse doesn't like the taste. Like electrolytes are too salty for my mare, so she won't eat all of her grain.