1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured My heart is much, much larger than my brain... The newest addition. *Photos*

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Equustrian, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Equustrian

Equustrian Senior Member

So, like most horse people, I'm always just creeping around the ads at horses available in the area. Having the horses at home makes this a very dangerous situation for someone with no will power.

I saw an ad for a companion mare and she just happened to be close, I had time to kill, so what the heck, right? Worth a look.

I head over there on Tuesday. This poor mare has not seen a farrier in... I have absolutely no idea how long. She has this sadness in her eyes. I leave to go home and I just can't leave her. I bicker back and forth in my head and end up taking her home a few hours later.

I have very little history on her, but she is around 18-20 (will have the vet confirm when he comes out to check her over) and has been passed around a lot.

I also found out yesterday that she is deaf. She does have the cutest lopsided ear! (One of the reasons she tugged so hard at my poor heart strings were those huge, floppy ears.)

She is very sweet, and she tries so very hard to trust us. She's about 15.2/15.3 and STOUT. Holy is she a tank!

My farrier was the first person I contacted and an appointment has been made, the vet is coming out and her teeth are being floated (probably the first time ever...) so she will be on her way in no time!

I have lost a lot of faith in some who call themselves "horse people." Just a "companion" horse or not we are still responsible to get their feet done (c'mon it's like $40 for a dang trim!), their teeth looked at, fed adequately... The fury I feel inside for this poor mare..

That's her story for now!
    Happily introducing "River"!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

OMG she is so flipping adorable :heartbeat:

I can't wait to see updates on her, she looks like such a sweetheart!

Equustrian likes this.
  3. Equustrian

Equustrian Senior Member

Thank you so much! She really is a sweetheart!

I am not very active on here anymore, but I will definitely post updates!

4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

She is cute!!! Update us on those feet! :eek:

TallOak10 and Equustrian like this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

hope the mare has a great home with you.

Equustrian likes this.
  6. TallOak10

TallOak10 Full Member

I try to keep believing that the number of people who are ignorant and incompetent are far outnumbered by people like you who saw those pleading eyes, couldn't leave her behind, and are stepping up to get her the care and assistance she needs -- and give her the love she deserves. The sad face you saw today will be just a memory. She's beautiful. Welcome home River.

7. Equustrian

Equustrian Senior Member

Thank you very much!

I hope I can do everything I can for her. I will not let her be passed around anymore than she already has been.

SkyeTiger, TallOak10 and Bebe like this.
  8. all4him

all4him Senior Member

Oh my gosh - thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much for taking that sweet face in!! I'm with you - I wouldn't have been able to pass her up!! I'm guessing she will end up being a wonderful friend for years to come!

Equustrian and TallOak10 like this.
  9. TallOak10

TallOak10 Full Member

When they get shuffled around a lot, they adopt the mentality or an indifferent by which it seems that they just expect to sooner or later be leaving. When she's there with you long enough in her mind, you'll eventually 'feel her asking if she's going to stay. I can't explain that, I can just say that I felt it. It's a shame when transiense is their normal. They're like leaves in the wind.

Equustrian likes this.
  10. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Good for you. what a doll. she is going to be much happier now with someone taking care of her feet and teeth. Looking forward to seeing some updates on this sweet floppy eared Ms. River.

Equustrian likes this.