My Farrier is a Freaking Miracle Worker

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Aug 5, 2018.

1. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Well I have to say kudos to you. In all honesty, I would've let the horse pass the rainbow bridge. The bone remodeling looks ever so painful.
    ETA: I did not realize the x-ray was from a different horse other than the OP's. Ooops!

2. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

Dude, honestly, didn't have a good leg to his name. Mechanical founder in that leg... an old bowed tendon in the other. Long term pain and age related DSLD in both binds. He was far from what I would call sound for anything other than a pasture ornament or pet but he was comfortable until the end living in deep sawdust bedding and turned out in the indoor.. and high as a kite getting on his final trailer ride to the vet. Honestly, he should have been put down many years before I got him but it was what it was at the time.

3. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

That was actually the first question out of my mouth when I saw the xray... after picking my jaw up off the floor. Vet, farrier and I came up with a plan to try and get him comfortable first. I still can't believe that he was loping away from me being hard to catch that morning. :/

4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

It can be a combo of the two.

5. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

No I do not have current x rays of the door, and I do not have the old x rahs in my possession anymore. They were in my old laptop that but the the dust when I spilled coffee on it.

In my humble opinion I belove my farrier has done quite a good job. He took a hlrse that could barely shuffle and has helped me being him to the point where is Getting riding sound again. We are going slow because the vet was worried that if we changed the angles to quickly it would do more damage than good. I can understand that. I am hoping to have more xrays taken soon, but unfortunately it will have to wait a bit.

6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Reicheru-My friend's horse has similar laminitis feet. She won't put him down until the toe goes through the sole. Course they are delaying that by these long heels. I can tell by the outline of your horse's feet he had similar outside feet. When I came to the barn four years ago he could be lightly ridden which was two to three years after he got the laminitis. Now he is made to walk to her pasture every once in awhile, its about a block or two away, for exercise and he does the laminitis walk at a slow crawl. The white foot is a club and worse than the other which she tried stem cell on both and it kind of worked on the non club foot. chewy06212018.jpg

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I always cringe when you post pics of this horse @LoveTrail ...
    Poor guy.

@Touch the Sky - did your vet and farrier see the old x rays or are they basically "flying blind"?

LoveTrail likes this.
  8. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

That's just horrific. I bet you're right though about what the previous owner/trimmer tried. I was fortunate that where I was boarding, there were arenas and a roundpen with a nice sandy footing for him to be turned out to exercise (if he wanted to and felt up to) and a nice big stall with deep sawdust.

LoveTrail likes this.