My daughter's first fall. On video!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 7, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You could also get her one of those seat savers. Those, with the sheepskin seat, make the saddle an inch or so smaller in the seat. They tie to the D rings of the saddle.

2. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

The horse didn’t come in at a straight line. No wonder she fell off.

3. ESunlin

ESunlin Full Member

I grew up ‘jumping’ bareback in a halter on an off the track standardbred. I broke my back coming off him too. It didn’t stop me, and I’m perfectly fine. Lighten up folks. She’s got waaaaay more supervision than most of us did growing up!

Cute kid- love seeing young ones loving horses!

4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

If the little gray mare I ride is a POA, I'm seconding this! She's the coolest little thing!

There is a thing called a Saddle Sidekick. It's like buddy stirrups but better and they make one for an English saddle. The reviews I have read have been fairly good, it's on my list of things to buy for my 6 year old boy. Then you can use the saddle that fits the horse, and help it fit your kiddo better.

OldGreyMare, ginster and manesntails like this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

That's kinda the point. The one supervising is supposed to be the adult in the room.

Doesn't anyone remember what happened to Bonnie Blue Butler!? :cry: (forward to 1:20)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Will definitely look into a saddle sidekick!

I watched that video and clutched my pearls. :eek2::applause:

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

What else is a lady to do!? (besides swoon dramatically a la Vivien Leigh, of course) :rofl:

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Coming in late but OP, I am in agreement with working with your daughter till her seat is steady and stays put. My own granddaughter, who has been riding for about 2 years now, who wants to do jumping and dressage, is just now starting to go over small ground jumps. She has been cantering for a good 5 months, and will go through exercise, warm up, w/t/c with her instructor before even doing anything else first. Or as she calls it, the "fun stuff".

My granddaughter had something similar happen, only when she tried to correct, her balance shifted, the horse compensated by moving with her, she snatched at his mouth and because he thought she wanted him to go that way, he popped over some crossed poles, she came unseated, then slid/fell backwards onto the ground. Scared the daylights out of her, but between her mom, myself, and the instructor, we got her back on an calmed down.

Set a great foundation for the rider, teach them patience and a good seat. Won't go wrong starting them well, and only until they have mastered that, then have them move on.

Binca and CarlisleChipper like this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

lol... I found the perfect Shetland, but the shipping costs more than him so I decided not to get him lol

10. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

What a sweet honest pony, truly worth it’s weight in gold as a lesson horse. As far as first falls go you couldn’t really ask for a better outcome. The pony just slowed to a stop and stood there quietly while she sorted herself out. Absolute saint!

Falls are a part of riding and it’s great your daughter wasn’t daunted by the experience. You never know which kids will dust themselves off and get back on and which ones will be rattled so much by the experience they never ride again.

Others have pointed out that perhaps it is a little soon to be doing jumps and I have to agree. Your daughter is cute as a button tiny and looks wobbly in the saddle even trotting in to the jump. If you decide to continue letting her jump a strap to hold onto or some kind of pad to help her sit more snug in the saddle would be a real help.

Please don’t take this as a criticism, just a suggestion made with good intentions of helping your daughter succeed. The members here just want to help, we are not trying to mummy shame anyone. We would feel absolutely terrible if something happened because we decided not to share our knowledge to avoid offending someone. This forum is a place of learning and sometimes the people who need help don’t realise it. We want all members and their horses to be happy & safe so hopefully you can forgive us for speaking out of turn on this occasion.

cmrtoner, mooselady, Binca and 2 others like this.