My daughter's first fall. On video!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Ranger’s Roheryn

Ranger’s Roheryn Full Member

She is so cute! Thank you for sharing. :heartbeat:

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Nobody here wrote anyting rude. (if you find inappropriate language you can report them and it get in my experience reliably removed)

And there is nothing cute about deliberately provoked riding accidents.

bsaz, Binca and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I am glad nothing happened and that she wasn't scared. The pony is indeed an angel. I just wish she had a saddle that would support your daughter...

Binca likes this.
  4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

i WANT THAT PONY!

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

That's a good pony. And I'm glad your kid is all right. But putting her on a pony she's only ridden once before and sending her over crossrails on it in a saddle that doesn't fit her is irresponsible at best.

I have no problem with kids learning to jump at a young age. I have no problem with kids falling off - it's part of learning to ride and I fell off in countless creative ways as a kid. But putting kids in a position to almost certainly fall off is just a stupid thing for an instructor to do imo.

If that's rude, so be it.

Puddincup, bsaz, ginster and 3 others like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes, actually, cantering is a prerequisite to trotting crossrails. It is. Because the horse 9 times out of 10 will canter at some point. I have never in 60 years seen any instructor have anyone trot crossrails who was not cantering securely.

The saddle doesn't fit, the pony is completely inappropriate (she should trot to the middle of the cross rail without any guidance from the rider, plus pony heaves herself over jump rather than neatly bending her knees and going over jump WITHOUT heaving her body - the thing practically has an ejector seat for little kids), kid is too young and not strong enough to jump, it's a new pony to her that she's not familiar with so she shouldn't be jumping him, the list goes on and on and on.

She is 6. She is too loose in the tack to be jumping. Period. She's too young to be jumping. Period. Heck I wouldn't even give a 6 year old riding lessons. Most have no leg strength and still have 'child proportions' with tiny legs and a big head and no arm strength. She's still built like that. She's tiny with little bitty legs. And 6 year olds fall off if you look at them.

Fake act to please you? Yes, kids do it all the time. Then they wind up crying and not wanting to jump and needing stomach medication because they vomit when it's time to ride.

A kid doesn't fall off a whole lot of times before she hates riding. She's 6. She's just a little kid, not a teenager.

Beware the zealous mommy who pushes her kid to do things before she's ready, the kid will wind up hating riding.

6 year olds, especially ones built like her, I take out on the lead line, do pony makeovers, and bring lots of glitter.

And when they do jump, I put them on APPROPRIATE PONIES, not one like this. This one, as I said, has an ejector seat. She heaves herself over jumps, plus she goes to the side and jumps the higher part. Totally inappropriate.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Alsosusieq2 and Binca like this.
  7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Your daughter is adorable, almost as cute as the pony! lol

A neat experience for her since she did not get hurt and was not afraid to get back on.

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  8. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

@Circle C Dude, you need a POA. Seriously!

OP, your daughter is adorable! Bravo to her for being brave and getting right back on. Glad she wasn't hurt or scared.

9. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Thank you!!

And We do know her saddle is too big. She just outgrew the child saddle and is in an awkward in between stage. She is turning 7 in december so she has plenty of growth spurts ahead (obviously!)
    Plus there is always the difficulty of having a big lesson string of horses with riders of all ages. It isn't always going to be a great fit but I'd rather the saddle fit the horse and just deal with not having a perfect fit for the rider. Of course older teens and adults have less trouble finding a good fit with the tack they use.

10. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

You could put a grab strap on the saddle.

And I agree with you on the saddle. Fit is more important for the horse. My 5 year old daughter grew 4" in the last 15 months! I can easily make adjustments to make saddles work for her. It isn't so easy to make them fit the horses.