My daughter's first fall. On video!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Good for her for being a brave girl.

But I'm with the others. She is tiny and doesn't have the weight or strength to save herself. She was lucky this time.

I see the same thing every week at my barn. I really have to bite my tongue a lot. The best kid rider at the barn is a disaster waiting to happen. Has no actual ability, just kick/smack and go. I have seen her go over jumps and my heart can't take it.

A good dressage coach is needed. Teach her to use her body and give her time to grow.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Yep I told her I said you are lucky. It will not always be this way where you land on your feet.
    I understand you all are concerned and I can appreciate that to an extent. I feel that safety at the barn we ride at is of utmost importance and stressed always. I've never felt uncomfortable there or have felt like my kids were in danger. There is inherent risk in this sport regardless. Yes she was challenged. You all are free to parent and train riders the way you see fit.

I think the point has been stressed enough. So if all you're going to do is rehash the same opinions just save it. If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I laughed~!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::ROFLMAO:
    But I'm old and I'm used to little kids trying to do stuff on horses that they are not yet physically strong enough to do. So, I thought it was cute.

Tell her instructor to work with your daughter more on posted trot without stirrups. THAT will build her core and legs so she won't be so floppy. Also, riding bikes builds core, legs and arms.

spec, Winchester, kodemiester and 5 others like this.
  4. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Indeed. Usually it's the kids idea. Adults shouldn't make them do it.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. CarlisleChipper

That's a good idea! Thank you. Also on that day she learned to differentiate which diagonal she is on. Her trainer has been impressed for a while at how good she can change it. Well now she knows how to identify it herself! I do love this pony she is riding. She has been riding super slow ponies that she is constantly having to kick on and use a crop. I think she's enjoying the adjustment of not having to work so hard to get a decent trot. And that ponies trot is as steady as the day is long. Thank you for being positive.

6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Nothing that was said here that wasn't "nice". The tone was normal, the content in no way offensive. That you personally didn't like the content doesn't make it offensive.

Binca and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

"Uh oh" lol
    Glad she wasn't hurt :)

My niece has been in lessons all summer and had her first fall this weekend too. Her mare 'took off' on her at a very slow rate of speed but kid lost her balance at the jump, froze up and let the riens go slack so mare was just going where she wanted for a hot minute lol
    Kiddo tried to save it but couldn't get her seat back. She never heard the instructions to get her reins back but did hear the one to let go :rofl: by that point her bum was only maybe a foot off the ground anyway and the greater danger was falling under the mares legs.

Later she was telling someone that her mare ran off and threw her so we got to have a nice talk about what she could have done as a rider like maybe she should not have been yakking peoples ears off instead of paying attention to her mount and how she could've stopped her mare if she had been ready instead of freezing up and dropping the reins.
    She learned as much from that lesson as she has from all the onesthat went smoothly, maybe more :)

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That pony's worth it's weight in GOLD~!! :bow:

Well broke ponies are scarcer than hen's teeth~!!

Binca, equinitis, waresbear and 2 others like this.
  9. CarlisleChipper

The very fact this was posted under horse chat and not "critique my riding/horse" should have been your first clue I wasn't looking for rude advice about how to raise my child up in horses followed by the insults to her trainer. So yeah, offensive is an understatement.
    Yes!!! I absolutely agree. A first fall is a milestone and a newfound respect for riding and the potential dangers are definitely a wake up call to take it seriously. I can't wait to see how her Thursday lesson goes.
    Agreed! She even halted square. Super fancy she's a new addition to the lesson string and were very appreciative of her prior owners!

manesntails likes this.
  10. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Sorry, OP. Things can go south here really fast.

Cute little girl and cute pony.

CarlisleChipper likes this.