My daughter's first fall. On video!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 7, 2018.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I'm so proud of my 6 year old. She has been in lessons since she turned 5, but only for the last year in a nearly consistent basis. She hasn't cantered yet. Anyway she had her first fall and I managed to capture it on video! The pony was a saint and immediately stopped and stood. Madison landed on her feet and immediately declared "that didn't hurt!" And got right back on and repeated the cross rail several times.
    She is her mother's child!
    Here is the Facebook video of it
    Miranda Gallegos

And a picture of her and how happy she is on the back of a horse! Screenshot_20181004-234421.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

She should not be jumping. She's too loose in the tack. She got back on cheerfully to please you - it won't continue. She's being overfaced, and that is not good.

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

It isn’t often that i’m In complete agreement with SLC, but she is right here. I appreciate you are showing a cute video, and yes a great pony. From the outsiders point of view, why is she popping cross rails when she can’t yet canter?

Love to see kids riding ponies and having fun, but she needs to be secure in the saddle to be popping even little cross rails.

4. CarlisleChipper

Yes she's loose in the tack, that's why she fell off. However the subsequent efforts she was not as loose in the tack and did just fine.
    I was not asking for advice/opinions on this thread. She has a very competent riding instructor as well as myself. You don't get back on to please your parents. You either get back on or go to the emergency room or decide the sport is not for you.

5. Binca

Binca Senior Member

If you don't want advice/opinions don't post.

Why did the instructor decide to do cross rails with her if she is (as you just admitted) loose in the tack?

6. CarlisleChipper

Trust me, if I felt like this would be the equivalent of posting in a judgmental mommy group I wouldn't have posted it and now have no way of deleting it. If only people knew how to read the tone of the poster and take that into consideration before soliciting unwarranted negativity, maybe it wouldn't come across so **** rude.

To answer questions.
    Since when do you have to know how to canter in order to trot small x-rails? Where is this a known prerequisite? I think on the right pony (not this one) and on a lunge line she could soon be ready to start learning the canter.
    Yes this is admittedly a little bigger of a x-rail than she's seen before, and ever she made the comment that the pony went over the big part instead of the lower middle.
    This video is her first attempt at this x-rail, the subsequent efforts she was not so loose in the tack but of course - she's 6 years old - it isn't going to be perfectly pretty so lets try to manage expectations.
    It should also be mentioned that this is her 2nd ride on this particular pony and this pony has a lot more get up and go than the safer smaller ponies she has been used to.

What I wanted to share was that I was proud of her for being brave. She is brave - I know my daughter. This is not a fake act meant to please me. Do you see her smile in the picture? Do you see her confidence? Is it that hard to encourage someone and be positive? We all think it was badass that she landed on her feet with her first fall off a horse and she had no tears no qualms about getting right back on and improving her ride. It got better. That should be celebrated. She's on an amazing pony that is forgiving. She has an amazing trainer that knows her better than those that are judging based off of one video. This is honestly just sad I even have to say these things.
    Y'all need to take it down a notch.

7. Binca

Binca Senior Member

You still haven't answered why the instructor is putting her over cross rails..

But to answer your question, you need the balance, coordination, and strength developed at the canter to be able to safely and comfortably go over cross rails.

Yes your daughter did very well with the situation given to her. That should be celebrated. Some of us are just asking why she was in that situation in the first place - doing a cross rail she wasn't ready for. She is 6. Putting her on a pony with more get up and go, only her second ride on him, she can't canter, and she is put over a larger cross rail than she is used to. You said yourself that pony probably isn't the right one to learn to canter on so why is he suitable for her to go over a larger cross rail?

Rhythm 'n Blues and waresbear like this.
  8. CarlisleChipper

She went over that cross rail because her trainer found it to be appropriate for her. That's really all that matters. As her parent I felt in no way uncomfortable with what she was having her do as she has trotted over countless cross rails before. She has ridden for 2 years (in December) and this is her first fall. I think if we were really being reckless or over facing her this would have happened long ago.

I'm honestly surprised that this is such a big deal. People fall off. Kids get jumped out of the tack all the time (even I do still sometimes). It's part of learning. The goal has never been to never fall off - ever - and if you do than clearly it's too much and the trainer and parent need to be criticized.

9. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

And why is a beginner, on a horse that is much larger than she can physically handle, in a saddle that is way to large and not supporting her, who has not even cantered yet, jumping an obstacle?

Honestly, get another lessons barn for her, with appropriate size ponies for smaller children to ride and a responsible instructor.
    By the way, learning to canter should come very early in riding education, on the lunge line. Any horse can canter off when it's spooked etc and the new rider should be prepared for a horse doing it.

You fall off because a horse bucks, spooks etc. This horse did absolutely nothing wrong, the child fell off because she was made to do something that was totally out of the scope of her ability. This is BAD. Why? Because every fall contains the risk for damage for the rider, possibly permanent damage. You want your kid in a wheelchair? No? Then why do you do things that will increase the risk of this happening? Riding as a sport is dangerous enough, in fact it's one of the most dangerous sports out there. Provoking accidents by stupidity and neglect is simply not what you want to do.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    foxtrot, RosasCantina, bsaz and 5 others like this.
  10. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

She is very obviously not a good riding instructor. And children do indeed do things they are scared of if they think it's what their parents expect.

bsaz, Binca, waresbear and 1 other person like this.