1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Mustang Mare in Colorado

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by ShesGoneCountry, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ShesGoneCountry

ShesGoneCountry Senior Member+

I posted about this mare in the classifieds as well. This is pretty much a rescue situation so I figured I would post here too. The mare is very sweet and deserves a good home (finally).

Since this is the rescue area I will post the background on this mare.

About four years ago it was discovered that a rancher was grazing about 40 horses on his land that he intended to ship to slaughter once they were fattened up. Some locals in the area got together and raised the money to buy all of these horses from the man. It was a mixed herd but there were lots of older mustangs, Quarter horses, a few looked like Morgans, and a few gaited horses. For the most part it was Mustangs. I don't know where he picked up all these horses but I assume he was going to low end sales across the state.

After they were rescued, it was discovered that there were a few studs mixed in the herd. They were all of the QH type. Luckily only a few of the mares were pregnant. The mare that is for sale is out of one of those rescued mustang mares and by one of those studs.

She was originally adopted by a man who wanted a companion horse. The horse he needed a companion for died so he sold the mare to a young college girl. This girl does not know how to ride, much less train a young horse. She also did not understand the amount of money it takes to care for a horse. I stepped in and started handling the horse some and I've actually put a few rides on her. I started working with the mare to help give her a better chance at getting a good home. With winter coming the girl can not afford to keep this horse. Her price is negotiable and the quality of home is the biggest concern here.

Here is the link to her classified add:
    http://myhorseforum.com/threads/517766/

I have a few locals interested but I thought I would disperse the info about this mare here too.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  2. ShesGoneCountry

ShesGoneCountry Senior Member+

She has been sold to a great home to become a ranch/gymkhana/4H horse!

3. mygirl1197

mygirl1197 Senior Member

I love when these stories have happy endings! :)