1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured Mustang critique

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by froglander, Dec 10, 2016.

1. froglander

froglander Senior Member

IMG_0661.JPG I somehow managed to take a decent picture this morning so thought I'd post it. This is half critique, half handsome pony post :)

10 year old mustang gelding from the Coyote Lakes hma, 15hh, lives in Florida

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Love the front half!

palimino57 likes this.
  3. zomer

zomer Senior Member

Oh I love it when I get to be the first on a fun post! You get both - he is absolutely lovely!! But he is also very well put together. When I gave the quick eyeball - I thought - total balance. So then I looked at the bits to confirm. and I would want to see more muscle over the croup but his angles all match up and his muscle is good - coat condition. etc. His front pasterns might be a touch out of balance with his shoulder but I think if your farrier keeps an eye on this and trims accordingly, you will be fine .

Sarai likes this.
  4. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Lol, yeah, not much of a hind-end, but he moves nice so it's functional at least :)

5. froglander

froglander Senior Member

His pasterns have always been a little more sloped than I'd like, but they aren't overly long, so hopefully they will remain okay :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

The main problem with the front half is the pasterns, which put the foots way out in front of him. That is a concern and careful shoeing and trimming can help.

He might be a little back at the knee, and if he was not looking left it might be easier to see, but he might have a somewhat coarse throatlatch as his neck looks a bit thick there. His neck lacks muscle development along its topline, but it looks like that's starting to be addressed.

What he has, though, is a knockout shoulder. Just a knockout. It looks like it belongs on a $150,000 sport horse. There's plenty of angle to the shoulder blade itself, and that shoulder blade is very, very long, which is good. And from the point of shoulder to elbow is very upright, putting his foreleg well forward on his body, which creates great balance in motion('a leg at each corner'). The shoulder leads to a very nice well defined wither. Nothing wrong with the wither being prominent.

Now we get to where he's weak. He's got a long coupling (loin) and a very steeply sloped croup (moderate slope would be better). His hind quarter is small and lacks length from front to back. His hind legs are very straight.

His hind feet are well formed and look appropriate for his size.

There is no gigantic skil slope on his back toward the front - in other words, his back doesn't slope down toward the front, which is good. His back is nearly level, which prevents that 'Have I just gone over Niagara Falls' feeling as the horse canters.

The expression, the eye, that looks very good. Classy beast.

froglander likes this.
  7. froglander

froglander Senior Member

He does have a bit of a coarse throatlatch and his neck is a smidge short. He's had the last year and a half off from anything more than an occasional ride so is definitely lacking muscling. When he is in regular work his loin coupling (is that the right term?) does fill in a good bit but it's always been a struggle to get good muscle to build up the pockets behind his shoulders.

He's got a good brain and is pretty easy going :)

8. slc

slc Senior Member

I know you'll be good to him. If he has as much class as I think he has, he'll do anything for you.

froglander likes this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

[​IMG]

He looks like a Draft cross from nose to shoulder and a TB the rest of the way. Main bad points are the long front pasterns, small hip and long underline. He's cut up, which means his underline narrows and rises as it approaches the hip. I'd like to see more room for the intestines there. The long underline combined with the front legs being way out in front of the shoulder and weak loin point to having to watch for future back troubles. Horse built like this can tend to go disunited behind unless you carefully do lots of hind end building exercises. The extreme slope to the hip comes from the draft influence. Drafts were released with Mustangs and they were bred for sloped hips so they could get down and pull.

He has a pig eye, too small for his head, and his neck is thick, the length is not too short for the back when you measure from center of wither to hip. Back pasterns are not ideal, the slope isn't too bad. Front pasterns are extremely sloped.

Really good bone but I don't care for the set of his hocks. He's a bit too straight hip to hock and he's got hocks that are strong in front and weak behind. The pointed hock angle behind and the bulging in front of the hock. Bones aren't set in ideally in the hock. With all the hair I can't say for sure if he's in at the knee or not.

Big strong guy that should have great reach but will probably outdo himself in front at the risk of laming up his back and hocks.

10. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Could you share some pics of good hocks just for educational purposes?

I have had people say they like his hocks in person so I am just curious :)

Here's a pic that is from 2012 that shows his neck better.

IMG_0665.JPG