Must Take Items to shows?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by TNTrailRider35, Mar 5, 2017.

1. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

We drink canned Mike's hard lemonade or find the nearest convenience store with screw tops. Or we find the Adult Riders' tent. Or go to the competitors' party. But I like your thinking. I should throw one into my trunk. Maybe the kind that also does wine bottles.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I have a doohickey that is basically a battery operated pump that you drop in a bucket and it pumps water through a shower head. The battery lasts about 10 minutes but I can plug it in inside the truck with USB.

Super handy - wash horse, wash yourself, wash muddy equipment, wash white legs, wash your hands before eating...best $30 ever spent.

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You remind me of my husband, he's exactly like this and it's nice. I get overtired and he usually packs up etc.

Packing undies suitable for your white breeches is a fabulous idea in case you didn't dress prepared in the morning etc.

That milk crate is a good idea @magic_rider for holding things on the way up and an impromptu mounting block.:)

4. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

I get show nerves. Not finding what I need stresses me out, and that makes tinware for me and horse. So. I make sure I know where things are. I used to groom, and not finding things stressed my rider out and he would snap at me. I also hate watching kids snap at their parents, who are paying for this whole thing, because of their own poor planning. So I learned to be organized.

I have left show grounds an hour after barn mates only to. Find them still unpacking when I get home or spending hours unpacking the next day when I am riding. Makes it worthwhile.

5. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I need this! Amazon?

JKetsche likes this.
  6. Chester

Chester Senior Member

Find one in the camping dept. Also handy to use for a quick shower when the power goes out and you can't be bothered pulling on the genny to get the house pump running.

I always pack at least one good cattle dog.

tlwidener and ChestersMomma like this.
  7. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

Didn't read of all this but:
    Extra braiding elastics and QuikBraid- if I'm at a 4 day show I'm not going to rebraid with thread everytime one pops out-just fix it with an elastic.
    Light pajama pants-cover my white breeches-take them off right before I mount up.
    Expandable hose- got mine at Job Lots in RI but I'm sure they are on amazon or something- when you pull it out of the box it's like 3 feet long and stretches to 25 feet. Not hard to stretch either.
    Baby wipes- wipe dirty hands off, wipe horse's nose off, clean hooves before polish, clean boots off, clean dirty horse butt, the possibilities are endless.
    Vaseline- goes on the horse's nose and around the eyes to make them 'pop' and look really clean. Only use a little bit. Wipe off with a baby wipe after your class.

8. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Vaseline is a good idea. I've always used baby oil for this, but you have to be careful with how much you use since it is so runny. Don't want it to run into the horse's eye on accident.
    You guys are giving me some good ideas. I've had the same show list, but added to it, for like 7 years now. I'll have to revamp it a little after reading some of these!

JKetsche likes this.
  10. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

I used to use baby oil too, but my friend's horse had a reaction to it at a show (not sure if it was the oil or the fragrance) and since them I've been a little wary. Vaseline is definitely the way to go.

NBChoice likes this.