Must haves in a barn?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Mackenzie M, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Mackenzie M

Mackenzie M Senior Member

Its been quite a few months since I have been on here. Busy with foals and breeding for next year.

I am putting up a 40x60 clear span type barn in the next few weeks and I am trying to decide how I want to configure my stalls/space.

What I have so far: One 12x14 stall that will be used for my stallions when needed and hay storage when the barn is in use for foaling.
    4- 14x24 stalls for foaling/injuries. These stalls will have swinging dividers so that they can be partitioned into 12x14s, making 9 stalls in total
    Aisle way will be 12ft wide. As a note, my horses are generally outside 24/7 unless foaling or injured, so this barn will not be in use all the time.

So my question on this post... I was originally going to have the last 12x14 space used as a tack/feed room but seeing as that I already have a tack room in another barn and a feed room (would only need a feed room for foaling season and that seems like a waste of space) I am not sure how to make use of this area.

Not sure if my best option is to make another stall, grooming area (which I will have the aisle for cross ties anyway), wash rack (I live in northern MI and already have an outdoor wash rack, so not a whole lot of sense), or sawdust area (which will be a lot of labor to get that amount of sawdust into the barn anyway) *Note* i have pesky barn cats that like to spray everything, so anything I want to stay clean needs to be completely enclosed or hung high enough where the cats cannot reach

What would you suggest I do with the last 12x14 space? Am I completely passing by something that should be a necessity? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...and of course pictures!

I'm still trying to decide on stall front designs as well. Keeping in mind this will mainly be used as a foaling barn

2. SoutherngirlBR

SoutherngirlBR Full Member

I would say use it as a supplies area and shavings area. Keep all those wheelbarrows and pitchforks in there. Or of course you could do a little kitchen area with a sink and counters and cabinets for medications. My trainer has it in her tack room and it's a lot more used than I think she thought it would be. Also a fridge for things that need to be cooled (meds, drinks, candy, popsicles :cheerleader:)

Mackenzie M and ibsammy like this.
  3. phantomhorse13

phantomhorse13 Full Member

You may want to consider leaving that space open for now and see what winds up happening in that space as you use the barn.

We have what was meant to be a wash stall of similar size at the end of the barn, but its since turned into a storage-type space as I find it less hassle to do the washing outside since that only happens when the weather is nice anyway. For us, that space now holds the wheelbarrow and other things we don't want in the aisle. We also have talked about moving the hooks we hang blankets on into that area (they are currently hung on a non-stall wall in the aisle). You may need that space for hay storage if you need to use the stallion stall for a stallion.

As for stall fronts, I would want solid bottoms and maybe high grade mesh tops. That way you have some airflow, but you don't have bars for little legs and feet to get caught in.

Mackenzie M likes this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Hot Wash Rack..I use mine regularly for washing horses and cold hosing legs, and I also prepare my hot soaked feeds there.
    Super Duty Front Load washer for Blankets
    Feed Room
    Locking Heated Tack Room
    My Hay Storage is up in a loft as I am restricted on impervious surfaces, but I wish it were in a separate building.

Circle C and Mackenzie M like this.
  5. Mackenzie M

I should add....i have no way of adding heated water or any water supply aside from a hydrant in front of he barn. Nor a way to heat a room. I do love the idea of a heated tack room, but it won't work.
    I'm very limited as to what I can do

6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

If you do a lot of breeding, I would use that space for stocks, and/or breeding dummy, counter space, etc.

Mackenzie M likes this.
  7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

My town had a cool and well designed 40x120 barn, 22 stalls, that had a clearspan over aisle and loft over the stalls.. It reportedly allowed a flatbed truck to be pulled into the barn and unloaded directly into the loft, regardless of weather and without a bale elevator. Aisle had large doors on both ends so said truck could pull in, through, and out.
    Another barn on that farm had measured gaps between the stall boards, allowing for sightlines and circulation between stalls. Its loft had burned, so it had a large central area for hay.
    Our camp barn had an open area at one end, about the size of 2 stalls or 4 standers, which held the summer stock of hay, yet there was enough room to walk past it with people or ponies.
    I like BOs stall door set up of solid bottoms and grilled tops, for view and circulation, yet protection from toothy cheapshots. The doors hang and slide, which have pluses and minuses. If you get hangers, imo make sure they will not likely or easily get out of their track. BO had a friend who lost a very nice yearling who had to be pts after he got a young leg between a door out of its guard track and a wall. It reportedly swung out & back, banged against him and there was NO saving that leg or baby. :(
    Even a small hot water tank can be a great asset for mashes, meds, hot chocolate, or a little bit of winter heat in the room its in, ideally a powder room! :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Mackenzie M likes this.
  8. Mackenzie M

I have a design planned out to use one of the 14x24 stalls to mount a phantom in for breeding season (still working on the logistics a bit, haha)
    I also have outdoor stocks at the moment that i use for bathing and ultrasounds. Was thinking that maybe it would be nice to have that indoors for the winter, but cant think of a reason as to why I would need it then.
    I am thinking an office/counter space to deal with collections, meds, etc would be nice. (still working on a class to take so that I can learn more about collections/extenders/shipping)

9. Mackenzie M

CJ- I will definitely make sure that the sliding doors are not able to come away from the wall/track!
    I was thinking a hay loft would be nice as the barn is 23ft tall and has huge doors on each end, but money wise that will have to wait a bit.
    i will have electricity running to the barn. Maybe if I can insulate that area some how (money pending) I could at least have a small heater on occasion!

10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

If you put in stalls or supports that will hold a loft, you can finish it up with the floor part when time/ finances allow.