Mushy/ soft frog.

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Bexxo, May 27, 2011.

1. Bexxo

Bexxo Senior Member

I noticed today that one of my mares frogs in her hoof was a bit mushy and tender.. could this be thrush? It has rained A LOT here and the fields are muddy and wet. Everywhere is wet. How do I treat and prevent this from happening. :(

2. pippy

pippy Senior Member+

Was it tender as in she flinched when you pushed on it, or tender as in flexible and pliable, and not as hard/dried up as normal?

If it was the second one - you would expect to see that from standing in the wet. Normally you would get some smell, and other signs if it is thrush...

3. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member+

I agree with Pippy--if there is no smell or black gunk in the clefts and crevasses around the frog it's probably just soft from being in the wet, not thrush. You can apply a treatment such as iodine/durasole/venice turpentine to the sole and frog to help toughen them up if she seems really tender, but once the rain stops and things dry up it should resolve on its own

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

If it is/has been that wet, I don't understand how just 1 frog is soft ;)

If it really IS softer than the others, then yes, I would suspect something is going on.

5. Bexxo

Bexxo Senior Member

All of them are sort of soft but just one was softer and more tender looking. NO smell and no gunk. She did sort of flinch because one sort of looked mishapen/ it looked like the side sort of fell off? :S BUT I've never really payed super attention to her frogs because they were always hard / no issues. She did have a lot of little rocks in her feet because of the mud stuck in them and it was just after picking her hooves.. ah

6. Ambrose

Ambrose Senior Member+

Can you post pictures of the hooves? From the ground (sides and front) and from the sole?

I always like to look at the whole hoof if there's an issue like that going on. Partially because the hoof form plays a huge impact in the diseases of the foot, and partially because it's just really educational. :D

7. Bexxo

Bexxo Senior Member

I'll post tomorrow when I go out to see her again!! I hate this mucky mucky weather ... ah.
    I did take a picture of her yest. when I noticed it.. just not of her feet!
    I hope she will be okay... :(

[​IMG]

8. jumperforlife

jumperforlife Senior Member

It could be that her frogs are starting to peel. You said she flinched? I would call a farrier in just in case to have a look at her feet.

9. Bexxo

Bexxo Senior Member

Just to update - I had the barn owner then not HER farrier but a farrier to look at her hooves and they are a-okay. They said it is just due to the swampy mucky weather and their fields have mini muddy lakes right now. Dang rain. I checked the one foot that when i poked she flinched.. she didn't flinch at all. Maybe she flinched at a fly or something.

Happy her feet are okay. :)