MSM & Oil

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Mule.girl, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

I have usually fed the MSM pellets but the amount of pellets to be fed vs the MSM powder / granules is simply more cost effective. I am looking for a good binder like a oil of some kind to help it stick to the feed. I don't feed but a 1.5 cooking measuring cup of ADM pelleted feed so it does not have a lot of feed to stick to. Any good recommendations for a low fat oil sun flower? I know alot feed corn oil but the mammoth donkey does not need any more added fat, I realize most oils will have added fat but which has the least? Or a better suggestion then an oil?

2. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

I did just read a article about cooking with out oil and they suggested applesauce, that has potential I think other then freezing.

3. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Why not just use plain old water?

If taste is an issue buy coconut oil but it's the consistency of Crisco, so you'll have to melt it in the microwave and carry it to the barn, wrapped in a towel.

One tablespoon is 30 ml, which is supposed to be the maximum daily allowance for non-working and senior horses.

Working horses can have more. Below is the only website I found that gives dosage amounts but there are several credible websites that talk about coconut oil as being beneficial for horses. It is supposed to be safe for metabolic horses that have become hard keepers.

Horses LOVE coconut oil too!

I bought mine at GNC when it went on sale but WalMart has suddenly got caught up in the coconut oil phase and has many brands to choose from.

Just be sure to buy something that has been processed by being cold pressed, and has not had anything else added to it.

Mule.girl likes this.
  4. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Sorry to interrupt but does coconut oil have any nutritional benefits? I use it on the horses tails.

5. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

Actually it went form being a "wonder drug" (oil) to a lot more studies saying its not so good for cooking but still great for skin and horses tail and manes. I too use it on the manes and tails and rub into the cornet band.
    article from USA today about not being health Coconut oil isn't healthy. It's never been healthy.
    article about the benefits of using on hair Coconut Oil Benefits for Hair and How to Use It

6. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

I used an old liquid supplement jug with a pump and filled it with water and a little karyo syrup to sweeten it and its working great!

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

My horse doesn't do well on oil, fatty deposits, dry skin, grows hair, etc, so I also just use water. Sticks really well with Triple Crown Senior.

Mule.girl likes this.
  8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

applesauce, raw honey, molasses, apple juice... any of those will work

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Oil to go with MSM is kinda funny to me actually. While my research is years old, it was made very clear that using oil paired with a glucosamine/MSM type product was basically useless. The O 3’s in the MSM are great for joints, but the O 6’s in the oil were terrible. So yeah, no point mixing those 2 together was what I took home.

I’m with @gaitedboomer - what is wrong with a little bit of water?

Also note - when I was adding MSM to horses dry feed, I never added anything to make it stick and the horses ate it jut fine - all 4 did...........

gaitedboomer likes this.
  10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I had one that wouldnt eat the MSM powder. She would just leave it in the bottom of her pan. My vote is apple juice :)

Mule.girl likes this.