Mowed Pastures

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by casey2, Aug 3, 2009.

1. casey2

casey2 Registered

Hi all, I was wondering how long after the pasture has been mowed can I put the horses out on it One of our pastures was mowed about 4 days ago. Do I just let all the dead grass rot till I cannot see it anymore?
    Thanks

2. gluey33

gluey33 Senior Member+

How warm is it where you are? How long was the pasture? It needs to be well wilted and starting to dry out.

3. KristinJ

KristinJ Senior Member+

hmmm, i mow my pasture weekly and my horses go right on it ... we like to keep the grass SHORT (around 2-4 inches). sorry I am of no help ...

4. gluey33

gluey33 Senior Member+

Why the mowing?

5. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

We also mow about once a month. Grass will keep growing, but if you have a problem with weeds, mowing keeps them knocked off before they can set seed and spread. Have a large patch of sandburrs that I have yet to be able to get rid of, even with sprays. If anybody has a remedy, I'd sure like to hear it.

6. pippy

pippy Senior Member+

Start digging them out :D

7. KristinJ

KristinJ Senior Member+

I need to mow to keep the bugs down. my horse is HIGHLY allergic to bug bites and with longer grass it just enables them to breed easier. I also have lots of pasture so I don't really worrk about mowing away their food. Plus my dad is a perfectionist with the yard and even weed wacks around the fence posts .... LOL!

8. mftx4

mftx4 Senior Member+

Tried the digging and unless you get the entire root, they come back, kinda like creeping charlie.

9. doublebarr

doublebarr Senior Member+

Spot spray Bushmaster (24D and Banvel at a 50/50 mix) no residual. Doesn't kill grass but will kill the weed down to the root.

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Weeds, and more grass than the horses are eating down.

When grass goes to seed, it generally either fully shuts down growing, or slows down a lot.

Also, horses tend to not eat where they pee and poop, so you get eaten down sections, and tall unpalatable sections. The tall stuff needs to be mowed.

I mow with the horses right in the pasture. But, I'm not mowing 2' tall grass either. If I was mowing tall pasture, with lots of grass out there starting to quickly ferment, I'd pull the horses off until it was fully dried - then it's just hay.