Motivation thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by apndi, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sam C.

Sam C. Full Member

Gotta go study now, I've got a Bio exam tomorrow. I enjoy Bio, though, so studying is easy because I'm so interested. I've just gotta go get started.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Like your pup won't want to go with you?

You have a desk and reading lamp out I your backyard? And no bugs or rain or wind?
    Pretty funny, but I'm not buying that.

Try again :)

3. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Just finished an exam that I started studying for at noon today. With lots of "breaks". Its online so no lectures, didn't even buy the mandatory textbook. Let's hope this one goes as well as the midterm did.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. apndi

apndi Senior Member

It's not buggy during the day, and I try to avoid going outside in the rain, and wind doesn't bother me. And there's a table and chairs and I wouldn't go out there at night to study anyway. Mwahahaha

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Even if i like the material, I don't like studying :( and it doesn't help that I tend to have issues understanding some aspects of biology. But good for you that you enjoy it enough that studying is fun! Go Sam C!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You do everything you HAVE to do BEFORE you get to do what you want to do. Self discipline. It's what was supposed to be the result of your upbringing; to teach you how to become a successful adult. You have to discipline yourself because it's nobody else's responsibility but yours.

Kappa likes this.
  7. apndi

apndi Senior Member

I'm usually pretty good at that, though of course I slip up every so often. I just kind of let myself get out of that habit, I got tired. I just need a wake up call, which I just got from my last test grade. I'm not about to fail any classes but I was disappointed in myself :(

8. Kappa

Kappa Senior Member

I've gone "back" to college three times and now, on the fourth, I've figured it out. I didn't have the motivation back then either. Honestly, maybe you're burnt out. Finish these classes, do well. Maybe take a semester off? A break is better than crashing and losing financial aid and trashing your GPA.

apndi likes this.
  9. JinxedDream

JinxedDream Senior Member

(please excuse the errors and grammar, keyboard is stuck on french)

Ask yourself how important this is to you, ask yourself what it is costing yourself.

Then sit down and study. Find a spot. I have a desk in my room, its school only. I have a school-only laptop, everything is blocked on it. I do have the radio on while I study, I don't like the silence. I also keep M&Ms handy... they are a great bride. I place them on the page, one after each section when I have to read something very very dull.

This is my third *degree*... and the second one online. The first one was a university Bach degree but this one and the last one, they all count for nothing if I do not pass with an over 75% on EVERY SINGLE assignment. I get two chances to pass a module, each one costs $1500-2000 and if I fail the second time, I lose my job. Great motivation. Why am I telling you this... because I never studied before this, I got top marks without trying. I'd go to class, do the work but I never had to actually sit down and study. Trust me you learn to study really fast when it's your job on the line and getting this degree is the difference between working myself into an early grave in a physically demanding job for low pay and a great job with employment pretty much guaranteed for life.

It is HARD. The first semester was brutal. I wanted to run away and quit. I slacked. I nearly failed an assignment and then my BF lost his job... we now need my income and there's no extra money for another class. I have a schedule and I follow it for studying. I can not afford not to. I start Job #1 at 5:45AM, Job #2 at 8:15AM, get off work at 5:30PM, go do chores, get home at 6:30PM, eat supper, do more chores and then study from 7:30PM to 10PM. I study 12+ hours on weekends. Rinse and repeat since April 2015... yes, I hate it at this point but then I make myself sit in that chair and study. Right now I have off until Sunday, work is very busy so the school lets everyone have April off.

Motivation is what it is. I do not have it most days but I can make myself do almost anything. I do not have much of a life. Burn out is probably likely but there are no alternatives for me. I have not gone riding in months (I tried and ate gravel if that counts).

You can do this. You just have to decide how bad you want it.

apndi likes this.
  10. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Just thought I should quickly update this and say that this morning I downloaded google calendars on my phone and planned out every minute of every day this week. It's working out very well so far, I've gotten all my studying done and it's only 5:30! I feel like if I had been like "oh I'll just study when I get home from classes" I would never have done it, I think it really helped to plan out what I should be doing for every hour.

Here's part of my schedule for tomorrow: