Most recent pity purchase..

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DriftwoodsQHs, Dec 3, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Looks like more of an "under-jet" than an under bite. Honestly proper dental work will fix that and stop any more issues. A true under bite, the upper incisors will sit 100% behind the lower incisors. The only reason they've got this bad is because of lack of care and I'm suspecting possible retained caps. Get someone who will take those down and keep them down and you won't have an issue at all!

ginster likes this.
  2. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member

Glad everyone likes the name! :D

@NaeNae, I hope so!

I looked in her mouth more today and her lower molars also have big hooks, which is what I was expecting. I’m assuming we’ll have to wait a while to have her teeth done, but I’ll at least have the dentist out to assess them sometime soon.

This girl is just SO incredibly sweet and friendly. Makes it even harder to understand how she was so mistreated :(
    42CAAAF6-C4FF-4912-84B6-CF6500D03B2E.jpeg 72E42FE1-D1DC-47C7-A4B4-8A9435D195F6.jpeg B8D01934-947B-40FF-99FB-68FC16FD5CEB.jpeg 52EBEEB6-DAAB-41C4-9A79-86331EEE9E74.jpeg
    All snuggled up for the night with her new 64” blanket! I also taped her today and she’s about 13.2hh.
    5DCEF9DC-0A20-40F2-B025-0D92B2D2C2D1.jpeg C64C7780-A81C-44AB-B1B9-ABE3EA241FF3.jpeg 708FB8F2-7E7A-435E-9447-DB0CA7783390.jpeg

SkyeTiger, equinitis, Bakkir and 11 others like this.
  3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Definitely wait until she’s gaining weight to do her teeth. You don’t want to change her diet, PLUS then alter her chewing pattern. Could cause issue! Keep doing what you’re doing and gradually get her into shape bit by bit.

DriftwoodsQHs likes this.
  4. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Actually getting her teeth done quickly will allow her to break down the hay appropriately to digest her food more completely. But theres no way a vet should sedate this kid yet. I doubt her body could handle it.

You are such a wonderful person for taking her in. She looks precious!!!

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I saw something on tv a few months ago. Problem horse, was dropping weight with muscle loss as well. Didn´t want to move when being ridden, literally dropped to the ground after a few minutes.
    They had a chiro/vet out to check for pain and she find a large hook in one of his molars.
    She said that horses who cannot move their mouths properly will lose muscle mass over their neck, back and hind since These muscles are tightly connected. I am having trouble putting this right, sorry.
    Basically, the fact that he could not chew properly, was slowly starving him as well as contributing to his muscles atrophying.
    He was not problematic because he was badly trained or had a bad mind, he was simply too weak to keep going (and no, he didn´t look starved. A little on the thin side but nothing overly dramatic).
    His transformation was pretty amazing to see. That such a "little" thing could do so much damage...

So...I guess if she can keep upright long enough for her teeth to get floated, she would probably benefit a lot from that..

6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

You will have the vet over to check on her anyway. Let him have a look at her teeth to determine if they need to be done urgently or if they can wait.
    If the problem prevents her from chewing her hay properly, they need to be done ASAP.

DriftwoodsQHs and ginster like this.
  7. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

As someone who has training in this, I know what I'm speaking about. Obviously it's a horse that needs to be looked at by a vet and will be, but there are a LOT of cases where changing the horse's chewing pattern dramatically can cause a colic. Especially in a horse this hard off, my own personal plan of action, if the teeth needed to be done, would be to wait a month to get some more feed into her before messing up what she's got going on too bad. You can cause worse by changing too much at once with a horse in a state such as this.

8. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member

I imagine her teeth helped her get this bad, but I’d rather be safe than sorry especially after just losing my other filly. Hopefully she can gain back some weight even with her teeth in this shape so that she can safely be sedated and not have to experience such extreme diet and teeth changes at the same time. I’ll get the dentists opinion regardless (I’m good friends with her and she lives close anyways), but I’m sure she’ll have the same train of thought!

9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Talk to your vet about slowly adding some mash diet to get her gaining a bit before messing with her teeth if that's the route you choose to go. Can help get some weight into her while ensuring she's getting the proper feed into her! :)

10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Is she quidding her hay? Chewing it some then spitting it out? Is her poop normal looking?

If she seems to be having trouble eating her hay, give her some soaked alfalfa pellets. Not much change there from baled alfalfa so should not upset her but it will be easier for her to eat and will help ensure she gets some water too.

If she is not having any obvious problems with chewing, I would not worry about her teeth overly much.

She is a lucky girl!

Arem, doublelranch, ginster and 2 others like this.