Most recent pity purchase..

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DriftwoodsQHs, Dec 3, 2018.

1. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member

She runs around like a banshee during the day and ends up dripping with sweat, which also doesn't seem fair to me, so I'm torn :( She has a healthy amount of fat on her now and I would definitely blanket her as needed, since I obviously don't want her to be burning calories to stay warm.

2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

You are doing such a good job with her! I would not clip her just for the extra work it would cause me. Mine are all yaks and occasionally the whole herd runs all over the pasture like they are pursued by equine eating demons. They all end up sweating and blowing but have not had any ill effects from it.

For perspective, I hate having to blanket one because I cannot always remove/install the blanket when the weather makes an abrupt change. I will if I have to but only if I have to for the well being of the animal!

3. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

If you decide to clip a bit, you could do something like I do to my driving horses. I'm also in Az, so I understand the weather ;) I don't blanket... the parts clipped woudln't be covered by a typical blanket, anyhow. I also clip with a #7F blade, leave the hair a tad longer. I clip the underside of the belly and the neck, that helps keep them cool when working. I also do the head because it makes the bridle fit better vs a mini in yak mode lol but you can leave the head fuzzy. I leave ears so they don't get cold :) Here's Mercedes sporting her driving clip...
    mercedesclip.jpg

DriftwoodsQHs and mooselady like this.
  4. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member

Thanks @CheyAut! Haven't decided if I'll clip or not since it's been staying in the 60s lately (woohoo!). If/when things change though, how late is too late in the season to clip?