Most dangerous experience with horses.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by WesternRider22, Feb 12, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

My old farrier said that when he was young, his brother had a horse transport business, and he'd often try to cram an extra horse in to the van to get more money out of a trip. But someone had to stand in the aisle of the van and HOLD the extra horse, AND keep all the other horses in the van from biting that one.

So.....he was holding a horse, in the van, in the aisle, when his brother fell asleep at the wheel and crashed the van. With his brother in the back with the horses. With the extra horse in the aisle.

I said wow, I would hate to be at the bottom of that pile and he said, oh I'm pretty wiley, I wound up on top of the pile. Maybe so, but he never wanted to do that again.

WesternRider22 likes this.
  2. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Where to start?
    Getting horses ready for a show ,bathing clipping etc.
    My trainer was clipping and I was holding a Gelding he was relaxed, no problem, right..She proceeded to the bridle path and horse started to bolt off. Taken by total surprise, late at night being exhausted and hungry he dragged me down the barn aisle made a sudden turn I'm still holding on to him . suddenly he made a turn I lost my footing,he stepped on me .Nothing broken but I still have a big scar from the gash,finished all horses before I headed to EM room.Priorities.....

Horse was broke to drive for years and shown in harness. During a regular quiet training day, he was hooked up,trainer was about to get into the cart,he just blew off.Trainer fell down lost reins horse with cart running attached galloping around the ranch.He ran along a fence line leading to a street.A 5 foot brick wall was separating the property he jumped the wall with the cart attached. Cart got stuck on the opposite side of the wall.Horse got stuck at the other side.He was never OK to be driven after that,but turned out to be a great trail horse.
    We had at the same show barn a wonderful Stallion,that was giving riding lessons to beginners only by himself or with an advanced rider in a group lesson.
    Most well behaved and kind horse.
    BUT,can't take away Instinct. Someone did not lock his gate correctly, he got out of his stall.Running around,trying to attack any horse that came his way.We had kids on lesson horses thankfully in a ring,quick thinking ,we had them in the middle of the ring lined up . Trainer, owner and myself trying to corner him,calmly as possible. Nope ,he was all Stallion,beautiful in a scary way.He ran past us down to the Gelding pasture trying to jump the fence to attack the Geldings,well he got stuck there.Put a halter on and walked him back to the barn like nothing happened.

slc likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I don't get all these horses “never okay to drive again“.
    Now, accidents happening BEFORE the horse os fully trained, yeah, but not accidents AFTER one is fully trained.

Do you think we just said, oopsey, no more racing for him, he fell down, or went over the hubrail, or was interfered with, knocked down and run over by the field. As soon as he was cleared to jog, back to work they went...WITHOUT an issue.

4. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

In the case of the horse in my story, she wasn't fully trained. She also wasn't a STB, which in my experience is one of the most sensible and honest breeds ever made. I'm not sure what she was but she was pretty high-strung at the best of times.

6. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Some people don't think "If you fall off you get back on the horse." applies to horses too. They think their horse had an accident, he can never be exposed to that same thing or scenario again, he just can't take it.

I got a mare that had an accident tying. Doesn't like tying. Didn't stop me from RE-TEACHING her to stand tied.

CowCatcher and manesntails like this.
  7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

the belgain was 2200lbs of speshul snowflake who probably should never have been hitched in the first place and the ammy driving had no business driving him - hopping in with them probably was one of my dumber decisions in life.

manesntails likes this.
  8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Only a couple dangerous personal experiences.....I got dragged by my pony once when I was 10, foot caught in a stirrup. Neither once of us got hurt....just some scrapes on my face. The scary part was....telling my mom when my sister and our friends rode back to the barn because I was pretty dirty,

The second incident happened years ago with a 2 YO AQHA filly I bought as a weaner. We were at a pretty big 3 day show, I had just gotten done banding her for halter class the next day, I was holding her by the halter as a friend was putting on her show sheet. It happened so fast, to this day I don't know what set her off....but she bolted, got away from me, ran up the barn aisle...show sheet dragging behind her, turned around and headed back down the aisle toward me. I sucked up against the barn walls, there were director chairs along the aisle.....and she just flat out ran me down, got stuck in a director chair and scrambled to free herself with me under the pile up. My friend was able to grab her at that point and stop her. I stood up from the wreckage of the chair, scrapes on my head and face, hay and dirt all over me, and my wrist ballooned up. My filly had scraped up her legs, but was otherwise ok. Got her settled in.....my friend wrapped my wrist with vetwrap, took some pain releiver, got up the next day and won my class and the division championship. Go figure.

Binca, endurgirl, manesntails and 2 others like this.
  9. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

The most dangerous was probably the crazy mare that blew up at an exit gate on me. Owner was a shoddy rider and scared of her and her other horses. Asked me to take mare along with my gelding to a pleasure show... put her in a few classes... get her some exposure.

Okay - sure- early 20s me thinks this is fun! Get to show a second horse! Horse seemed okay in warmup... a little looky but her first show so to be expected. Take her in a W/T English Pleasure class and her tension builds in the form of her getting a little jiggy. Had to really hold to keep her from cantering off but kept my cool and took third. Woo!

Head toward the exit... walking along on a lose rein... horse seemed ok... and then BOOM mare takes one crow hop forward and then flies straight up in the air and sits. THANK GOD I was in an English saddle because I was able to slide right down her back, tug at the right rein and roll left. Mare thumped over on her right side and I was just stunned a bit. My mom later told me that the second her hooves came off the ground I pulled my toes out of the stirrups. Don't remember that but glad I did.

Owner later went around telling me that mare would've got first if I hadn't been "holding her back the whole class". Sorry the third on your psycho mare that you won't ride wasn't good enough. :confused::confused: She also was offering for little kids to sit on her later on during the show. :eek:

I also had an incident on Chester where I was running home from the third barrel and had passed the timer. I was circling to the left as we slowed and the in gate crew swung the gate open early. He did a move that would impress a cow horse - sort of a jump pivot back toward the gate. Silly me still had my momentum leaning left and fling! I ended up between him and the fence. To his credit, he stopped stock still (sort of gently holding me in the fence rather than letting me fall to the ground) as I climbed back on top and walked him out... all the while tossing the gate crew a look of "appreciation" for their patience. ;)

Binca, slc and manesntails like this.
  10. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

It was just before my 21st birthday. Yes, a good many years ago. Anyway, it was hot, muggy, just one of those days you should have ice tea in the shade of a tree. But, I had been invited to my shoer's place for lunch with some old friends of theirs, so off I went. Got there, had a lovely lunch. They left for home, and Hap and I decided to get some miles in on our horses. I had my usual gelding, Buck. He was going to ride a grullo mare that day that he'd been starting.
    Before I go much farther, remember, it was hot, sultry, muggy. He was weaning a foal off her, and had her on way too much grain in my opinion.
    So, anyway, we started out. Things are going well till we get to the road. Some kind soul had bought themselves a baby carriage, and thrown the box out the window. Hap told me to put my gelding over it. Buck wasn't buying that. So he put Bright over it. His mistake was, he stopped talking. I know as well as I'm setting here typing this, that mare forgot he was up there. I can see the look on her face when she looked back, saw him there and the shock/surprise of it all. She bogged her head, let out a beller, and the rodeo was on.
    He did a real good job of riding her. In his younger years, he'd been a real top notch bronc rider both on the ranch and at rodeos. Things were going ok till she got up on the railroad dike. She reared straight up, and jumped. I can still see it happening. He came down on the horn. Then, just like someone threw water on her, it was over. She stood up, and looked puzzled like "what just happened?"
    He rode her out, and rode her over 2 miles back to his place. He was insistent that I go on back home, so I did. His wife was there.
    In about an hour, I get the phone call. They'd taken him to the hospital and it was bad, real bad.
    There is a joint in the front of your pelvis that doesn't do anything, but it's still there. He'd split it over 4 inches apart. he was bleeding internally. Before it was all over, nearly every system in his body had shut down. He barely made it.
    This incident did kill him, it just took 12 years for it to happen. He never really recovered fully. He spent over 2 months in the hospital. He was transferred to 3 different hospitals because new things would happen and the one he was at was not equipped to handle it. He was never the same man as he had been.