Most dangerous experience with horses.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by WesternRider22, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

I wasn't the one in danger, but I was directly involved.

When i was a kid, some friends and I were allowed to mess around with these two minis. I had the smaller one pretty well trained, he had a great brain and was pretty much bomb proof. I taught him to drive and pull among other things. The other pony was larger ,hotter, and fairly spooky. We wanted to try teaching her to drive too.
    We knew we had to take it slower with her, so the girl who primarily worked with her and I had been taking it slow. Getting her used to long lines and ground driving, desensitizating ,ect. She was doing great .
    One weekend the primary girl was away, so I enlisted another one to helo work with the pony. I wanted to start getting her used to noisy things dragging . I pull out bombproof pony, hook him up to a piece of fake tree(lots of noise) and lead him around the arena with the other girl leading the spooky pony behind us(so 'chasing' the scary item). Spooky is doing pretty well, has a few moments but overall is doing great. All I wanted is a quiet walk.
    Now, this little mare was a great jumper . That's what was primarily done with her, in hand jumping. She could jump pretty high too. So as I'm leading the bombproof pony, I look back to see how spooky is doing. The girl leading her has brought her closer to the drag, pony is behaving but not relaxed . Then, before I could react, the girl steps over the drag, presumably intending to put it between her and the pony to get pony even closer. :eek:
    What does pony do? Pony tries to jump the drag. Gets her leg caught in one of the lines connecting the drag to other pony . The loud drag jerks under her, scaring the **** out of her, sending her flying into the other girl. She's much bigger than the other pony and pulls him over backwards, now tangled up in the lines, drag, and the other girl. Spooky falls over at one point , everyone is in a heap. Legs are flailing and kicking trying to get free and standing . Girl is on the bottom of the pile.
    I was ready to call the ambulance when finally spooky gets to her feet and stops flailing , still partly tangled. Bombproof pony is tangled up and stuck down(still as a statue, perfect pony). Girls pulls herself out and stands up. She got a brusised leg and a couple cuts and scrapes across her stomach(presumably from kicking feet) but otherwise fine. We got the ponies freed. They were unharmed.
    I was so mad. All our work with her ruined. We gave up teaching spooky to drive after that. She was fried and it wasn't worth it. Other pony was no worse for wear and drove no problem after .

2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

There are a few that would vie for most dangerous.
    I thought I could ride anything when I was 9 years old. I traded my very well behaved pony for my friends very bratty pony on a ride and he promptly ran away with me. He ran for home which was across an 8 lane highway right out side of Waco Texas. We did not make it across the road, got hit by a car that, luckily, had great brakes. I ended up with a bruised ankle and a concussion and the pony with some bruised ribs. I got a ride in an ambulance and my mother got her life shortened by 10 years.
    I had a brush track app gelding when I was 15. He was 7 and pretty crazy with absolutely no sense of self preservation. I was taking dressage lessons and thought he would make a great dressage horse some day. He ran away with me one day when the curb strap on my mechanical hackamore broke and tried to jump a barbed wire fence when running almost parallel to it. He cleared the fence but my stirrup caught a fence post and down we went. He was pretty big and was moving very fast when that post brought us to a very sudden stop in mid air. He landed hard, I was thrown free, and yanked up about 4 fence posts in either direction from the one that caught the stirrup. We both got cut by the wire but I got the worst of it with 12 stitches in my calf.
    I rode horses for a horse trader, the one I bought the crazy app above from! I had one of those horses go up and, when I slid off, he sat on me. I was lucky and was only very sore from that experience. Only horse that ever reared with me and I did not know it was coming. He just went up, straight up on his hind legs, with no warning when I asked him to turn into the fence. He never did it again but I only rode him for 4 days before he went to the next sale.
    I've been in the ground bees on my Blossom. It was scary but she never put a foot wrong. I have seen several people, and heard of several others, that were injured very badly when they got into the bees in the mountains and their mount went crazy. That was dangerous for me but my mule is solid gold!

3. slc

slc Senior Member

I had a horse flip and land on me once. I was bruised and cut up but that was all. A lesson horse. He was so dead I asked the instructor for a whip to try to get him to pick up his feet. I said, he's going to fall on his face. Nah, you don't need tha- she didn't get to finish the sentence because he flipped over at that point.

WesternRider22 and gaitedboomer like this.
  4. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

Some of these stories are crazy!

Licorice, my mare in my avatar, tried to kill me regularly before I learned how to ride and she learned how to be a halfway decent horse. (Halfway. She's never going anywhere because she's always gonna have a few screws loose.) I can't tell you how many times I was bucked off, although the worst injury I got was a nasty ankle sprain once. The closest we came to disaster was when she spooked, and as a beginner I had the whole "turn the head" part of the one-rein stop down but I couldn't get her hindquarters turned, so she was running blind down the street in my neighborhood and almost plowed us both into a street sign.

Probably the scariest near miss was with someone else's horse, he had been a pretty trustworthy trail horse but hadn't been ridden for a while, and had been acting sketchy the entire ride, and I wasn't that used to him so I wasn't 100% comfortable anyway. Well he blew up bucking and crowhopping, and I had very distinct feeling he was going to come out of it bolting, so I bailed. The way I landed, I looked up and just saw hooves... you would have thought I was on fire I rolled so fast through the brush and brambles. He did indeed bolt after that, and we had a fun afternoon of playing "where is the horse" on miles of state land.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

My wb Benny was the source of a lot of hilarity, most of it at my expense. He had the amazing ability to stop dead from a gallop, and once took off and then stopped obediently, with his front feet 1 inch from my glasses, which flew off my face when he halted, he stopped so fast.

Once when I was hacking along he got bit by some gigantic biting insect. Since it was right by my leg I guess he thought this was a command to leap forward, which he did. So hard that I flew up vertically in a perfect plank position and landed with the small of my back on the cantle of the saddle. I thought I broke my back. When I woke up he was eating grass, with one forefoot in either side of my head. I could not stand up or move, but I was able to tap him on the foot, get him to lift it, and roll away in one direction, grab the bit, and then the rein, and he dutifully hauled me back to the barn with the bit pulled mostly through his mouth, my body dragging alongside his legs. He slowly walked back to the barn, taking a step with one foot, every time I said, 'Get up, Benny'.

What a saint of a horse he was. I can't even think about him without bawling my eyes out. He was really wonderful. Thanks, buddy, for 22 wonderful years.

Truth be told though, Wuss Horse is going to be the same. For a while I told him, you got some pretty big shoes to fill, buddy, but this is when I stopped saying that -

I caught my foot on a stall mat when I was walking fairly fast, and went flying, landing right under him. He tensed up but froze, perfectly still. If he had tried to run away or even just scramble back, he would have punched a couple holes in my face and belly. Instead, he stood perfectly still.

I saw the farrier was here the other day and ran up to the barn with their check.

To my amazement, they had Ben's big old halter on Wuss. It was practically draped over his nostrils, but there it was. He was wearing Ben's halter. One day it'll look pretty good on him.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    BossMare16, Binca and WesternRider22 like this.
  6. sherian

sherian Senior Member

Belgian and two wheeled cart in a blind bolt with a broken harness/bouncing shaft, cart ended up flipping in a ditch tossing us out - amazingly no serious injuries to human or horse though that horse was never safe to hitch again.

manesntails and WesternRider22 like this.
  7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Probably the most dangerous was when my 28 year old Morgan bolted with me. Goofy horse. We'd ridden by a farm that had turkeys and he wasn't happy about them. When we came back by, he jigged into a trot and let him trot past. Then he broke into a canter and I let him do that (don't normally let a horse dictate pace but he was 28! and generally solid and obedient).

We came to the top of the rise and I eased back and sat down and... he bolted. Took off and suddenly we were careening DOWNHILL (this is a horse that would stumble at a walk) on a narrow dirt road bordered by dense woods. No room to turn or circle, and he wasn't listening to anything I did.

He ran for 2 MILES (I know because I clocked it later). All downhill. It was terrifying and I honestly thought I was going to die. Thank goodness no cars ever came the other way and thank goodness he didn't stumble because I would not be here.

Finally, we were getting perilously close to where the dirt road ran into a main, paved road with traffic and I knew I had to do something. Figuring I was going to die no matter what, I hauled on one rein and turned him into the woods. Both sides of the road were hilly - this was Vermont so I was on a mountain, the road was old and sunken, so one side sloped down and the other sloped up. I chose the uphill slope.

He crashed up the slope and into the trees and finally lurched to a stop. Amazingly, I didn't break a leg on a tree or get swept off by a branch and he didn't run headlong into one and kill himself or break a leg. We just... stopped.

Rode home and though I could feel the potential for another run, I had his number and was able to defuse any antics. He never did anything like it again. All I could think was what if my daughter, who was about 12 and rode him sometimes, or my friend's mom who was a beginner rider who took him on the occasional trail ride, had been on him!?

I've been hurt by horses a number of times but the most dangerous experience was that one, where I didn't get hurt at all.

GONE ROPING and slc like this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Carriage accidents are so scary! I saw one like that at a show once - my friend was competing and a horse spooked at something and just bolted. The cart bounced, the driver flew out and hit the ground HARD... and didn't move. I honestly thought she was dead.

My friend's husband ran in and headed her horse, and her mom who was an EMT ran for the driver, so I ran for the horse, who was barreling toward the fence. She tried to jump it, crashed through and landed on her side, and I jumped on her head. Pulled out my knife and cut the harness off because that horse was NOT going to stand up quietly with all that stuff rattling behind (one of the driver's friends was saying, "Oh! She just bought that!" and I'm thinking, "she's never going to be able to use it on this horse again anyway").

The driver had to be airlifted with a major concussion but ended up okay. Horse wasn't hurt but never drove again.

9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Only time I was actually afraid of a horse was when a WB gelding was taken off the monthly tranq he got. I was leading him out to his paddock when he up reared and tried to strike me in the face. I had to drop and roll under the fence to get away from him.

But I have had many "Oh ****!" moments. Way too many to list, lol.

10. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

Had a horse have a high speed come apart in the trailer with me. I was unscathed but to this day, I hate hate HATE getting into trailers with horses. I do it when I have to but not before saying a prayer to anyone who might be listening.