Monthly Money Saving Tips

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by horserider001, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Saddle1022

Saddle1022 Full Member

When my son was little be dug a huge hole out back for his "fort". well he out grew that pretty fast:rolleyes:
    I fill the hole with leaves, manure, both horse and chicken, wet trash we don't feed back to the animals, coffee grounds, tea bags, anything that is moldy etc. We turn it every two weeks and it is a great compost heap. We don't have a lot of trash left over every week. Since I use all feed bags for trash bags we don't have to buy trash bags and have saved quite a bit. I try and reuse anything I can when it comes to the animals. I feed them their dog and cat food, plus they get any drippings we don't use on their food. Eggs shell, tack withs we feed right back to the chickens, plus any left over veggies etc. I feed the horses lettuce leaves, and leafy greens, they get corn cobs to chew on. If I have left over cornbread I feed to both horses and chickens. Our animals eat what we eat, which does save a lot in the long run.

I use our old toothbrushes to clean the house with, hoofs with, any place that needs a small space to be cleaned. Hair brushes are used on the horses and dogs for grooming. Old toilet brushes I use to scrub out the back of my truck with and the tires of all my vehicles. I use dryer sheets in my dresser drawers, they smell so good! I also use them to wipe down the seats in my truck and cloth seats in the car. They work fantastic in your pillow cases to keep your pillows smelling fresh and clean. I use the big plastic jugs with a pour spout of laundry soap. when done with them I rinsed until there is no longer any soap residue and then fill them full of water for gardening or full of used oil to be hauled off. If you have flowers or roses, I use one that has been lightly rinsed to hold my spray water. Keeps the bugs off my flowers.

Egg cartons I use to germinate my plants in, plus if I have sawdust and lint from the dryer I mix them together with a drop of old cooking oil or use toilet paper tubes to stuff full of lint from the dryer and use them for starters in the fireplace. Any old cooking oil, I strain and give the dogs and horses over their food.

2. Hugo7302

Hugo7302 Senior Member

Table salt mixed with tea tree or ACV for thrush! Works like a charm!!! You could also use epsom salts :)

aFlamingAngel likes this.
  3. horseluver2427

horseluver2427 Full Member

Thanks horserider101! Im always looking for homemade products that work! Ill have to try these. Thanks!

4. Hugo7302

Hugo7302 Senior Member

This might have been posted before, but make tail bags out of old knee high socks.

Dilute horse shampoo, its usually to strong anyways. I do 1 part shampoo, 1 part water, 1 part vinegar. Then put it in a spray bottle. It works very well.

Baby powder for noisey saddles. Put all throught the flaps. Then do a cleaning

Gadoriad (spelling?) powder for electrolytes.

5. TurnNBurn321

TurnNBurn321 Full Member

I am going to have to try that!

6. jessietrippe

jessietrippe Registered

Thanks! I think I may have use of this guide.

7. TurnNBurn321

TurnNBurn321 Full Member

I have some ideas for saving money on tack for people that live in an area with a dollar store/tree.

If you use braiding bands, dont buy the Tough 1 or Tail Tamer ones. They can be pretty pricey. Just get some elastics from the hair isle, they have more colors suited for shows like blonde, white, black, etc. They also have rainbow ones, and they dont break easy.
    Buy the hairbrushes from the hair isle too, they work just as good.
    Anything that you can use on babies, you can also use on horses. I use lavender scented baby shampoo, works just as good and/or better than Mane & Tail and Cowboy Magic. I also use baby wipes baby oil ( for cleaning the face ) and baby powder ( for white areas ). Vaseline also works as a hoof oil for around the coranary band.
    Dont buy the name brand horse treats when you can make your own! You only need a few basic ingrediants, which I am sure everyone has sitting around in their houses.
    Make your own horse toys from plastic containers. Take a milk carton, fill it with rocks and hang it. Or, hang a lead rope with a ball at the other end to dangle.

8. hunter13JetEye

hunter13JetEye Registered

I find that buying a large bag of treats and keeping them at my house works well. Its about 5 lbs and I put them in containers to take separately to the barn. My horse doesn't eat them as quickly, and I don't have to but as many!

9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

An old hacksaw blade for shedding, instead of dropping money on one of those SlickEZ blades or whatever they're called. A new hacksaw blade is like $2 at a hardware store. Just be careful not to push too hard or go over the same spot too many times.

BroadaxJuniorMint and TLFC like this.
  10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

My grandpa used to use a saw for shedding! I'm sure it was dull as a doornail, but his ponies had a ton of hair and were older, so shedding took forever until he pulled that saw out.

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten that about ol' Gramps. :)

TLFC likes this.