Monthly Money Saving Tips

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by horserider001, Mar 8, 2009.

1. horserider001

horserider001 Senior Member

So I'm going to start a thread every month on money saving tips for grooming your horse. So here it goes...

Concoct your own conditioner...
    1 cup-apple cider vinegar
    1 cup-baby oil
    1 cup- Listerine(use original kind)
    Mix together, put in spray bottle, spray on coat and rub in with a towel or rag.

As spring is approaching us try this inexpensive homemade fly spray...
    1 cup-water
    1 cup-pinesol(preferably orange scent)
    1 cup-apple cider vinegar
    Mix together, put in spray bottle and spray on your horse. This is great for sensitive horses because theres little to none chemicals in it like the more popular fly sprays.

***these two sprays are under $5 each.

Enjoy a happy horse and saving your money! :)

2. littlerider

littlerider Senior Member

Thanks Horserider, this is a great idea. Everyone should put their ideas on here for less expensive idea's on horse care.

3. aktomboy

aktomboy Senior Member

Thats a great idea and great sprays! Thanks!

4. EVOO

EVOO Senior Member+

Great idea for a thread! But if you're looking for fly spray that is more earth and health friendly that's probably not a good recipe to go with. Pine Sol is in no way even close to chemical free. :wink:

5. RRACRESQHS

RRACRESQHS Full Member

Thats a really great idea for people to post their inexpensive things they use! ...I'm unfortantly not one who has any inexpensive things! Sorry! But I would love to learn some!!!

6. AQHA Hunter

AQHA Hunter Senior Member+

I like to use a coat conditioning spray of diluted ACV with coconut oil. Of course it only works in warm weather when the CO is liquid.

For a nice cooling, sweat-cutting solution, try diluted mint mouthwash and isopropyl acohol. I like to add a little rosemary essential oil to it. It's like Absorbine Refreshmint, but $7 for over a gallon, instead of $11 for a quart.

We've had a lot of thrush threads on here lately, and a good treatment is 1/2 triple antibiotic ointment and 1/2 athlete's foot cream. I found the antibiotic ointment at Big Lots! for less than half of the drug store price, and found athlete's foot cream at Dollar Tree.

Big Lots! can also be good for other grooming stuff. I've bought sheepskin mitts in the car care section, and stacks of cheap wash cloths in the linens section, as well as basics like iodine, cotton balls, etc.

3 people like this.
  7. Arabian1713

Arabian1713 Senior Member

Don't buy mane and tail brushes at the tack shop. They will be triple the price! I bought mine at the dollar section at Target and so far it had lasted me about 2 years. Do the same thing with sponges, although they don't last as long. Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner (if that's what you use), is also cheaper at Wal-Mart than at the feed store. Just a couple of tips I've learned. :)

8. EquineVet09

EquineVet09 Senior Member

Hey just another added thing for like fly repelant.
    I dont know exactly the amount you use, but you but vinegar in a horses feed. Not a lot, just a little. When a horse sweats during the summer it comes through their skin and is a natural bug repelant.

1 person likes this.
  9. blakhawq

blakhawq Senior Member

What a great post/thread!!! Thanks!

Whenever I am working with my horses, we can go through alot of treats, so once mine started liking and eating carrots, I keep a baggy full of sliced carrots with me. They are cheaper than store bought treats, and last forever when sliced! They also dont turn brown or get sticky.

Use baking soda and vinegar to clean brass on halters, harnesses and bridles, instead of storebought chemical cleaners.

There are also alot of great ideas on an older HGS thread:
    http://myhorseforum.com/threads/52770/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. EquineVet09

EquineVet09 Senior Member

And also those soft peppermint treats you can get like 1000 from Sams Club or costco are great treats too if your horse likes them =D