Monoflap in the hunt ring?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Jockey Life, Aug 24, 2018.

?

Monoflap Saddle in hunt ring?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Jockey Life

Jockey Life Registered

Hey, horse community, I was daydreaming about the new advanta saddle by bates and looked it up, I instantly fell in love with it, and I always wanted to do cross country, but there are no courses on Maui. I still wanted the saddle and then I realized that like most horse people I'm BROKE so I went to my dear friend ebay and found a nice looking knockoff for a fraction of the price. Now my only problems are, can I ride a monoflap saddle in the hunter jumper ring? And technically the saddle I found isn't a monoflap saddle but still has the monoflap girth strings and normal English saddle girth attachments under the flap, so what the frick do I do?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Have you ever ridden in this type of saddle? Because if not, falling in love with a saddle type for the optics of a saddle alone doesn't make any sense at all.
    If you want to jump in a saddle and do it well, the specific saddle needs to put you into the correct position AND fit your anatomical needs of your bum AND be the type of saddle you personally feel comfortable in.

I personally totally like flat cross country saddles, hate jumping saddles with a deep seat. But that's not the case for everyone.

So, do not buy untried, and solely based on "cool" optics.

I don't see much of a point for monoflap in jumping saddles. With dressage saddles they are used because the buckles of the girth can come to lie right under your thigh, that's not the case with a jumping saddle, so there is no reason to use a saddle with long straps, when they come with so much disadvantage when you need to fastening it while sitting on the horse. You have to dismount every time, which is just so annoying. With a dressage saddle you will mostly be in an arena, but when you go trail riding and then have to remount with the considerably shorter stirrups. Nope. Would under no circumstance get a monoflap jumping saddle for everyday use, for this very practical reason.

What it looks like at shows, who cares.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. magic_rider

magic_rider Senior Member

Your post gives me the impression that you don't know much about buying saddles. For the comfort of you and your horse, please get help from a professional saddle fitter.

Personally, both my jumping and dressage saddles are monoflap. I don't understand why anyone would want a second flap and girth between their leg and the horse. I have no difficulty tightening short girths while mounted either, the buckles should sit just below the flap.

secuono and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Jockey Life

Jockey Life Registered

Thanks for your feedback, I'll reach out to my local saddle fitter soon!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Jockey Life

Jockey Life Registered

Thank you, I've ridden in monoflap saddles before, but never one with extra straps!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

The saddle you posted is a cheap indian made knockoff and is nothing like a "real" monoflap as evidenced by the fact they knocked off a monoflap by making a dual flap saddle.

Don't buy this, regardless of what the end result is monoflap or not.

I have seen people use monoflaps in the jumpers, I don't pay much attention to the hunters but I doubt they're used there.

secuono and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

^ this! Also add to it that it has short & long billets....like what is one suppose to use 2 girths with this thing?? WTH???

As for the original question - no monoflaps & short girths in the Hunters. You'll be going into the ring with something against you right off the bat. It's just not worth it to start behind the 8-ball in such a subjective & competitive class.

8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

As others have said, please don't buy that saddle. It's made in India and is awful for more reasons than being made in India.

I found a Schleese and a Custom Saddlery rep who service Hawaii, I would personally suggest going independent if you can, but that is my own bias showing.

9. crayon

crayon Senior Member

If you're still in Hawaii, their shows tend to be a little more flexible in their rules. Even huntseat. I agree that it would be a better idea to look for something used of better quality. I am one of those people who likes tradition and the way I grew up was close contact (square cantle) saddles in the hunter ring. That is what I will always think looks the most "right" for thst discipline. But, I lived on Oahu for the last couple years and it seemed like some places really care about traditional show attire, but quite a few are quite a bit more laid back then the mainland.

10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Look at used saddles, you'll get a better quality for the price and be patient.