Monica Thors. Stop this woman.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by AvidEquestrian, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Nope @AprilFools this is not from 2014 this is from Feb of 2018

Monica Thors Sentenced to One Year of Probation | HORSE NATION

Monica got one year's probation and if she behaves herself all charges will be dropped after one year. The only good thing is that there are people watching her and if she pulls this stunt again it will immediately be reported but this time also to the media.

2. AprilFools

AprilFools Registered

That’s real sad because she should not be allowd to have any horses at all period. Those articles about her go back a few years.

3. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Oh yeah, Monica has been on a lot of people's radar for several years, unfortunately, their complaints fell upon deaf ears at the SPCA in NJ. Nothing happened until finally the media interviewed Monica and the depth of her mental illness and how far gone those horses were is what finally got the SPCA involved. The Standardbred community really got behind the push to keep Monica in check, she lost her privileges on sanctioned Standardbred tracks, she lost her US Trotting Assoc membership, and even Standardbred Canada got involved saying if she came up she would be barred from the tracks. Monica was thrown out of a couple of STB barns until she finally got the private barn she is in now. Monica has a sponsor in Europe who sends her a lot of money to keep Monica in business. Monica used to be a fantastic photographer and videographer, she was married to a top driver/trainer and has an amazing son, but she started to having serious mental issues, her husband tried very hard to help her but her illness progressed to the point the son became an issue so they left for his sake. That is when Monica really lost what little grip with reality she had and started her "treatments" on her horses. One was a legitimate racehorse until she started working on his feet. This case is beyond sad and could have had a much better outcome if the SPCA had stepped in about 7 years ago when she got ruled off the tracks. This judge messed up, and she got a lot of earfuls on how she muffed up. Only positive out of this is that more people are aware of Monica and if she starts her "treatments" again, she will be immediately turned over to both the media and SPCA. As far as I know, Monica is receiving no mental health services at this time.

4. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

I find that doubly tragic. Her mental illness has cost her so much that I have NO DOUBT she truly loved - her family, her horses, her career.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't want her to own animals ever again but continuing to be untreated compounds it.

I'm so sorry for the Standardbred community because it sounds as though they did everything they could do, legally.

Idrivetrotter and ginster like this.
  5. PonyNuts123

PonyNuts123 Full Member

Yes She does!

CoffeeBean likes this.
  6. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

What happened to all those cats she had, that had whiskers trimmed off and were being bathed daily or some such thing? There were photos posted back in the day when the horse issue made the news.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

If that was all she did with them, the cats "got off" lightly, compared to the horses.
    Maybe the cats fought back more? They usually do ot stand for being mistreated...
    I don´t think they came up in the Trial? None of the links say anything about kitties.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Monica Thors Feline Division
    As I recall, the tabby with the bandage on its head died. There may have been others.

[​IMG]

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Oh my...the woman needs help. And she shouldn't be allowed around animals without supervision..

CoffeeBean and Tack Collector like this.