Monica Thors. Stop this woman.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by AvidEquestrian, Nov 26, 2014.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I've avoided posting because I'll probably get my vomment, which is the only comment I deem appropriate for the situation, deleted.
    She needs a bullet in her head.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

With you on that manes. It's been awhile since I viewed the initial photos, they're staggering. I can't imagine. How this was allowed to go on, and people not intervening and or calling the police immediately, is beyond me.

IMO I think slc was stating that she "might" not fit into a major mental illness diagnosis that would cause her to be put into hospitalization/treatment, not that there was nothing wrong with her. Sadly, it might be true, as hard as it is to believe. It's really sad that animal abuse doesn't receiver stronger punishment. It's often a prelude to violent criminal acts and we know this.

Nahh, as Chesters Momma put it, she should have no contact as there's no reason, I agree. Never, ever should she be allowed contact as I see it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    ChestersMomma likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It was allowed to go on because she rented that barn from a training facility. These places have a training track and multiple ten horse enclosed barns. Nobody looks to see what goes on inside.

On the race track, with shedrow barns, she would not have gotten away with it. Vets and others are going by and would've reported it.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Munchausen by Proxy would fit the bill.

Alsosusieq2, Arem and manesntails like this.
  5. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

I am 100% convinced, based on the information so far, that she is mentally ill. I do think she needs to be either kept away from animals entirely, or at the very least relieved of any responsibility or ownership of animals, and supervised with any interactions.

But with mental illness of almost any kind, the best hope of recovery is to try and restore the highest level of "normal" possible. Help a person regain a schedule, a job, and personal relationships, and non-destructive coping mechanisms, then see where you are.

It would be the safest for the animals if she was able to recover enough to understand her wrongdoing, even if she still can never be allowed to own animals again.

Alsosusieq2 and CoffeeBean like this.
  6. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

I think the judge flubbed it. She should have no contact with animals unless she is supervised (someone lets her pet their dog, cat, horse, etc.). She really can't be an animal owner. She's a mess.

This has cost her horses lives, her marriage, her son, everything she held dear and she doesn't recognize it. I don't want to play armchair psychiatrist, but something is very wrong and if she were the woman she was way back when - she would be horrified. She's not. That woman is long gone. This is tragic all around but at the very least she can't own animals.

I don't know what to say. Most of the time, the mentally ill are more harm to themselves than others (animals and people). This is not one of those instances.

Oliver Wendall Holmes got it right when he is quoted as saying, "It's a court of law, young man. Not justice." (I paraphrased and may have mangled the quote. The spirit is there, the words are not.)

I really hope many people are monitoring her and can prevent further tragedies.

Alsosusieq2, ginster and Amarea like this.
  7. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

I said I wasn't posting but this thread just keeps going. For a few years there were dozens of people who complained about Monica and the NJSPCA did NOTHING. Monica was thrown out of a couple of different barns before she got a barn from a woman in Europe who sent thousands of dollars to Monica for her videos and "treatments". This woman was told numerous times that Monica was not the woman she remembered, and that the money was supporting abuse, and she continued to send money. I know personally several of the people who took videos and pictures and sent them to the NJSPCA who again, did NOTHING until media got involved. Then the NJSPCA came in but it was too late, and the lack of support and action from the NJSPCA did push the judge for her rulings. So to say that nobody did anything is grossly wrong, believe me, there were people (including a personal friend who is being sued by Monica as she was the one taking the majority of photos and videos of the abuse and neglect) who complained for years, which is why Monica lost her priviledges with the USTA and NJ Standardbred Racing Commission years ago.

If blame is to be cast outside of Monica it is the NJSPCA who did not do what was right and investigate Monica when the abuse was first starting. The NJSPCA failed the horses and Monica and there is a good chance that those who are sued by Monica will be forced to pay her legal bills as she was basically cleared of charges. So there is a lot more legal issues happening in the background.

8. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

"If blame is to be cast outside of Monica it is the NJSPCA who did not do what was right and investigate Monica when the abuse was first starting. The NJSPCA failed the horses and Monica and there is a good chance that those who are sued by Monica will be forced to pay her legal bills as she was basically cleared of charges. So there is a lot more legal issues happening in the background."

Well, that just stinks all around. I'm sorry that people are going to be out still more money because NJSPCA flubbed it.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  9. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Yeah, it is a really terrible situation, the NJSPCA was informed years ago about Monica, and as Monica escalated her "treatments" the SPCA did nothing. Photographs and videos were given to the SPCA and they didn't even go to her barn. It was only when copies of the videos and photographs were given to the local media there in NJ and the station ran the story did the SPCA finally step in. By then the damage was already done and it hamstringed the court case their lack of response. Let's hope that with the amount of eyes that will be on Monica going forward, she can get help for her mental illness and never even own a horse again. I am just afraid by Monica getting off, that her benefactor will start funding Monica again.

Alsosusieq2, AprilFools and ginster like this.
  10. AprilFools

AprilFools Registered

I think that this mad woman was convicted on multiple levels against all the horses in her care. I don’t think any of this is happening anymore. The pix are from 2014 after they busted her