Missouri Anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MelissaH, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member

Hi....been a while since I been on the forum. Anyone here from Missouri/lives in Mo?

We are making life changing decisions right now and that includes a new start in Missouri. New start, jobs, life in general. Yes, we are taking the horses. We are moving to the Southwest part of MO. In March we fly down to start our home shopping adventure.

Any tips? Secrets? Like & dislikes? What it's like?

Jim_in_PA and ginster like this.
  2. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

How southwest? I am in Southeast Kansas. Joplin is about an hour and a half away, Pittsburg (KS) is about an hour away.

Green, hot, humid, MO can be pretty hilly. Cheap gas, lots of BBQ/Blues festivals. Are you on Facebook? You can message me here and I'll send you my real name. I can add you to some trail rider groups out here, lots of competitive trail rides, endurance rides, good camps, lots of free public places to ride. Unfortunately almost ALL things are done through Facebook here (literally, thats how I found out that I was not supposed to drink the water, where our news is, etc). If you're in a bigger town though probably not as much of an issue. I live in a town of 100, moved from a town of 9,000.

3. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

Not/never have been in MO, but I'm so happy to see you! :D

Sounds exciting - hope for horse updates when you have a moment.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Sounds exciting, I lived in Missouri for a short time. It's more lush than Kansas, I think you'll like it. Good luck-!!

5. FunSizeFriday

FunSizeFriday Senior Member

I lived in the Branson area from 13-18, then moved to Columbia for college and left the state after. My parents still live in Mirriam Woods and my husband's family is near Springfield so we visit regularly although the area has changed a ton since we left.

Where will you be moving to? I will say that the region has a very low cost of living, and it really is beautiful. I forget how much I miss the hills and greenery until I come back.

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

That sounds like it will be an exciting change for all of you!

7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Lived here for most of my life. Summers vary from high 90's to a few weeks over 100. The humidity is the killer. Winter is average. I think the coldest temp was around -10 this year then factor in windchill. Average is mid 20 with a few 50 degree days thrown in that make you sweat. Snow is usually light, but every few years we get a big one. Some tornadic activity in spring through early summer, and last year was unusual for flashflooding all through summer.

Excellent pasture, hay, and cost of living. Usual horse hay Is brome, prairie grass and alfalfa. Gas is $2.19 right now. Diesel $2.71. Trail riding is available in the Mark Twain National Forest and Eminence. Riders are all western in my area, but I'm sure there's an english barn or two up north. I am about 60 miles south of K.C.

It's handy to have a lit arena for riding after dark when the summer days are so hot. Some days my horses drip sweat standing in the shade, but when there's a breeze they feel better. They stand in line to get sprayed with the hose, and they love to stand in the water troughs.

Cost of property varies, and I am not sure about SW MO. Here, land goes from $2000 an acre up to $4000. Depends on location and nearby cities. $175000 can get you a decent small set up for horses and a house that could use a little TLC. Depending on your wants/needs/tastes it could be up to $475000. Realtor.com could bring up properties in your areas of interest.

8. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

No matter how good the deal might be never buy property that is designated in a flood plain that applies to any state.

Buy high ground.

Yes humidity is killer. I'm in Tennessee but high humidity in any state in the SE is a given. We mostly get Gulf air, which means a lot of moisture.

A feels like of 106(F) n te SE is a LOT more misery than 106 degrees of dry heat in the Low Desert. You'll find your horses sweating when it's 80F, the humidity is 60-something and the Dewpoint isn't far behind.

9. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member

Sorry It took me a zillion years to reply and say thanks. With trying to get things all together I haven't even had time to ride. Yikes!

We plan to find a place in the Southwest of MO. Either an hour from Joplin or Springfield so Hannah can get a full time job and I will get a part time.

Well, Thank you Ms. Pigeon! I really need to start a horse thread. I was in MO when I was 10 or so. My cousin lives there near Kansas City. Good to feel missed! ha ha :D

I'm pretty sure I will. I want to slow down a bit. Plus I want a part time job. I have been trapped in my home office since 2001. I am so DONE! I need to learn how to re-socialize! he he When I went to my Fathers funeral, I fell in love with Texas and LA...mostly because of the small town not in a rush kind of living. So much green!

Ahhh you're making want to go there now. We will be looking near Joplin and Springfield and all areas within an hour of either. So Southwest. I'm pretty excited. We're getting our ducks in a row. We did a refi for cash out plus saved a heaping amount of cash. The less we have to move the better. We had a huge garage sale, husband sold our Caddy and tractor and lots of tools. Our only fear is we are buying it as a second home and have an amount we are going to....not more than $70,000.00 and will have well over 20% down. Fingers crossed. Waiting for the refi to close any day now. Then as soon as we have money in hand, our house goes up for sale. :applaud:

Yes Jim. We need a change. Hubby will do what he has wanted to do forever. He will get his CDL and do long haul for a couple of years and maybe local if he don't get hooked on OTR. Some do. We have worked together since the day we were married. This will be good for us. I will make him a wonderful home for his home time. Scary thing is it will be just Hannah and I for 2 years.

That's a bit out of our budget. We are thinking ahead for retirement and living off our SS. We don't want a huge mortgage or home anymore. Going to dry lot. Have a pole barn (we don't have them here) and hot wire. I found pipe corral is not big in MO. Either barb wire or hot wire. I even fell in love with a 792 square foot home. At least you know you can add on ;) I want to ride my horse into my 70's. I guess that's what happens when you start late in life. I was 39 and now almost 53. I finally found THEE horse. Had Jex a little over 2 years and I've never experienced a bond like this. He can be a bit of a challenge but not so bad I scream or anything. He's got a good heart and not a mean bone in his body.

Thanks for all the support and advice. It really means a lot to me.

10. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

One other thing I thought of:

I think West Tennessee mortgage holders require earthquake and/or flood insurance due to the Mississippi River which sits on the New Madrid fault line which is bigger than the San Andreas. There was a massive earthquake in the 1800's that not only split the Mississippi River in two but sent the water running backward. It isn't a matter of "IF" there's another quake but "WHEN".

My point is if you have a mortgage, be sure to ask precisely what insurances they require, even if you're not in a flood plain. You may not get out of buying the insurances but at least you won't be caught off guard.

I THINK Mercury Insurance has recently come east of the Mississippi, which is who I had when I lived in SoCal. They weren't here when I moved here in 2003 so I went Shelter Insurance, a regional insurance company. I think their home office is in St. Louis, MO.

The regional companies, in my experience, offer better coverage for less money than the nationally advertised companies --- although nobody is cheap these days :(

Alsosusieq2 likes this.