Minis Pro/con

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by KaylaG, Feb 7, 2019.

1. KaylaG

KaylaG Full Member

I am thinking about getting a mini pony so our outcast horse has a friend. Please share your experience with having a mini as a friend for a horse. We have 3 horses total now, the lowest in the pecking order usually gets ignored by the other two. :(

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

They are turds.

3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Love them. So much.
    Yes, they are turds but you can get really lucky and find one that is the perfect blend of turd-muffin and squeezable muffin.

Alsosusieq2 and Dream27 like this.
  4. secuono

secuono Senior Member

My experience is different than what many people spew about them.

I have two mares, friendly, loving and very smart. Have nothing negative, personality wise, to say about them.

They're easy keepers, even living with and on a pony's diet, they can get fat. So, your mini will have to live on a careful diet or the whole herd will as well. Might even need a muzzle bolted to its face, year round.

They're the same as a horse, the problem lies with the human(s) caring for them. Treat them like a horse, not a helpless kitten, and everything will be fine. Simple.

Oh, and sometimes people find them addictive and end up with more of them...I'm always battling the urge to get a 3rd...or 4th...haha!

mymarespet, foxtrot and Mcdreamer like this.
  5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Minis aren't turds more than any other horses are turds. Lots of people let them get away with murder because they're tiny but they're just as trainable as any other horse. They tend to be way more chill than ponies that do tend to be turds.

However I never support keeping a mini with a full size horse. Too easy for the horse to accidentally kill the mini with a kick at play.

ginster likes this.
  6. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I've had 5 minis in my life and only 1 of them was a real sh*t. The others were sweet, friendly, cuddly, and funny. My dream is to have a field full of them by the time I'm 40.

7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I have mini mules and those are bigger turds :rofl:

8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I have only negative dealings with other peoples mini's.

- None I have known were trained. Not ONE!
    - They are forever testing fences and getting out.
    - They take careful maintenance to prevent obesity and founder easily.
    - They cost just as much as a large horse with boarding, vets and ferriers. (yet everyone expects discounts)

And the worst thing is that dwarfism is out of control. Way too many backyard breeders out there.

9. KaylaG

KaylaG Full Member

Secuono what type of pony diet do you speak of?

10. slc

slc Senior Member

It's a strange thing...just a few years ago people would tell you that you shouldn't put minis in with full-sized horses because there was too much danger of the mini getting severely hurt.