Miniature Donkey Shivering

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by jojozwiebel, Nov 14, 2018.

1. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Is it normal for a mini donkey to shiver in the cold?

3 1/2 years old
    Gelded
    Has access to shelter
    Gets hay twice a day, equaling a flake total (2nd cutting grass)
    Access to pasture however grass is short and will not provide enough as is
    Gets a half hand full of Purina Enrich Ration Balancer to keep him busy
    Gets a blanket
    Feet trimmed every other cycle
    Has a layer of fat and not in regular work
    Has a pasture buddy: 11 year old quarter horse gelding

Last winter, I noticed Duke was shivering and refused to go outside during the winter. Understand that donkeys are desert animals, I ordered him a winter (waterproof) blanket and he loves it. I just now started leaving it on him now that it reaches 30 degrees and below. I wanted to take him for a drive and obviously had to remove his blanket to tack up. He began shivering instantly and did not stop until we were hooked up and on our way.

Is it normal for donkeys to shiver? It's only 30 degrees... It's gonna get colder! I wish I could offer him more hay; however, I do not want him getting any fatter. Would clean straw only he can have access to be a good alternative? Is it ok if he shivers? Would a warmer blanket be needed later into the winter?

Attached Files:

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Most likely, he's cold. There was just a big article in TheHorse.com about how donkeys are from very hot climates originally and need more blanketing than horses. They may get very long hair but it doesn't keep them warm.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

If he's shivering, he's cold. I would blanket him and maybe look into feeding hay through a slow feeder if not doing so already to keep him eating longer without feeding more. That'll help him keep warm.

4. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

But more blankets in different weights so you can layer.

I'd also look into something like a quarter sheet for when he's driving. I have no experience driving so I dont know what they looks like.

5. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I thought about just leaving him blanket on him while we drive but thought it may not be a great idea? I'm not sure... I probably will not work him anymore this year as I think Ohio weather has said "f y'all".

6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I would at least keep a quarter sheet or fitted cooler on him as you warm him up with work.

Without hay he won't be able to keep warm enough. All horses/donkeys need more hay in winter - even minis.

ginster likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Not a good idea to put a harness over a blanket. Make him a WOOL, not synthetic, quarter sheet. Attach it to the tugs, add a sircingle that lays just behind the girth, and a tail strap.

You can find old wool army blankets on Ebay, some have moth holes and go VERY cheap. Wool breathes so, when he sweats, the sweat is wicked up onto the exterior of the blanket and away from his skin.

ginster and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  8. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

And wool still insulates when wet so he won't get sweaty AND cold.

ginster and manesntails like this.
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

A deep straw bed would help keep him warm at night.

My Arabians do not like to be cold either, most wont go outside if it’s raining and they all give me the Evil eye when we take their blanket off. I have one that starts to shiver as soon as the weather gets down to 50. I’d have several different weights and use an appropriate weight for the current weather. I also body clip because the get warm and start to sweat as soon as they start to work, On f it’s very cold I can use an exercise sheet until they warm up. If they are clipped they dry faster and so that I can change the cooler and out on a turnout faster.

10. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Thank you for your replies! On Cyber Monday, he is getting a fleece liner/cooler. Also a stall toy Lickit thingy because he gets bored in his stall... But he chooses to stay in. Oh well. Spoiled lil thing.

Larkspade likes this.