Mini horse founder

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by buddytink, Jun 13, 2018.

1. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

I have a mini horse who is a prime candidate for foundering this year, we have more grass this yr due to the rain and owning fewer horses, so we have grass everywhere. I'm wanting to make her a dry lot, but was wondering what should I do different as far as feeding goes compared to a regular insulin resistant horse? Is small amounts of alfalfa bad for minis? (Im trying to prevent ulcers if i have to move her to a dry lot and i know alfalfa is good at reducing stomach acid)

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Put her out on grass for only an hour.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Or use a muzzle... I worked for a woman with a mini that had foundered, had Cushing's, and chronic on and off laminitis. She was able to be out on grass with the others for a few hours a day (grass fields were much larger than her dry lot) muzzled with no adverse effects. Alfalfa in reasonable amounts should be fine, just realize while often low in sugar it is calorie dense, so a little goes a long way when coming to putting on weight. I'd give low sugar hay (my first cut grass mix almost always tests safe) in slow feed nets or other slow feeder and a RB or vit/min supplement to balance everything out.

4. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I have my minis on grass with muzzles and they do just fine. The key is slow introduction and careful monitoring of weight.

5. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try and get a muzzle for her, no one local has one, so I'll have to order her one. Right now i have her in a stall with mixed grass hay from last yr. She hates being in there but she was starting to get tender on the grass and i dont have a dry lot to put her on now.