Mini donkey has runny stool..

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by AppalosaCowGirl, May 29, 2006.

1. AppalosaCowGirl

AppalosaCowGirl Senior Member

sorry this isnt horse related.. more "equine"...

anyway the title says it all...

they are mostly on grass and we have grain for them but are giving it as a "see we are nice people" treat.....they get hay sometimes and they exercise themselves...(play/fighting)

i say they but only one has runny "poop":p

if you need more info ask...​

2. Top Dun

Top Dun Senior Member+

People generally tend to over feed donkeys. Donkeys evolved in arid areas with really poor feed. Good grass and grains are not always the best for donkeys, He'd probably do better on a dry lot with less grass and more grass hay.

Also you might want to try a probiotic ( beneficial bacteria) to stop the runny stool.

3. tazz001

tazz001 Senior Member+

Please make sure the donk doesn't get overfed. In the summer my girls (4 mini donk jennetts) are only allowed on grass for a few hours each day. They get NO extra feed except a cupful in the dead of winter and only them if it is bitter cold. If they are lactating they get a handful a few times a day for baby's sake.

Their coloric intake in minimal to say best

My gilrs get the runny poo when they get to much feed...

4. AppalosaCowGirl

AppalosaCowGirl Senior Member

they used to be on a dry lot at their other home but we dont have a dry lot and I dont want to make one..... it is my moms donkey so i will pass on the info and let her deal with it..

(every time i try to deal with the donkeys i come away in a bad mood so i tend to stear clear...;))

5. juxtposdbologna

juxtposdbologna Senior Member

Also, what kind of hay is she eating? No alfalfa, and like the others said, really limit her grain intake.

6. Keni62

Keni62 Registered

We recently adopted a couple (rescue) mini donkeys, not knowing anything about them, except research. Feeding them hay from our horses round bale was such a chore that I decided to find a few small square bales. Unfortunately, the only ones I could find are alfalfa and orchard grass. I only gave them a flake at first and pregnant Momma immediately had loose stool. Mind you, I had no idea what they'd been fed previously. Now they are getting the regular hay from the round bale most of the time and stools dried up as quickly as they loosened. The alfalfa/orchard bale is more of a treat.