Mineral vs. Salt Block

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BroncEars, Sep 2, 2010.

1. BroncEars

BroncEars Senior Member

Which one is more beneficial to the horse : salt or mineral block?
    my horse is worked every day for about 30 minutes. she doesnt sweat like a beast, but there is usually a little. (mostly under the saddle/pad)

Also, how much is too much? The last mineral block I got her disappeared in about 2 weeks, if not less. But i dont think she actually consumed all of it. I found half of it in her stall about 6 days after I put it in there, and im thinking she knocked that remaining half down and it got taken out when her stall was cleaned.

Also, I think she only eats it right before feed. She gets really antsy when she hears/see's the grain and hay coming, and is one of those horses who grinds their teeth on her stall bars and such. Knowing her, she just bit the salt block in anticipation every morning before feed. So, its not like she sits there and chomps on it. (well at least when im there she doesnt)

2. nrhareiner

nrhareiner Senior Member+

I normally keep both out and let them decide what they want. I also keep Buckeye Alfalfa Plus in their stall mineral feeders. I prefer loose minerals my self the horses get more on the minerals then they do in the blocks. However when they are out most of the time in the summer the blocks are easier.

3. dockeramb

dockeramb Senior Member+

I keep both blocks out to the horses.

4. Stormyheart6160

Stormyheart6160 Senior Member+

I don't know how true it is, but I've always been told that the mineral blocks were made for cows...not horses. I've never checked on this, so someone might want to check it out. But, 'supposedly' some of the minerals in those blocks, horses are NOT suppose to get.

If anyone finds out about this, please let me know if it's true or not.

5. KristinJ

KristinJ Senior Member+

I remember being told something similar as well, lol! I just keep the salt blocks and the Himalayan salt blocks out.

6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Blocks really are designed for cows who have a rough(er) tongue than horses. It takes a lot for smoothed-tongued creatures to lick these blocks, with means some of them won't get what they need, some will just eat them, and some will spend hours and hours licking them.

My personal preference BY FAR is a loose salt/trace mineral product. Nothing with sweeteners - you don't want them eating that much salt just to get the "candy".

7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member+

I have big salt blocks in eatch pasture & small ones in their feed boxes. I like to keep the small ones in their feeders b/c it gives them something to do and it slows down their eating habits since they have to move the block around to eat their feed.

Loose salt is really the way to go to make sure that they get what they need. They can't 'lick' enough to sustain them from a block.

I feed a good RB with everything in it, so I do not need extra minerals. Unless you know that your horse is deficient in something, I would stick with salt blocks.

8. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member+

I actually have 3 types of blocks out in the field. Salt, regular mineral & Trace Mineralized Salt Block with Selenium

the horses make their rounds as to which one they want to chew on

9. EasternCowgirl

EasternCowgirl Full Member

I definitely agree on the loose salt topic. Salt blocks cannot be consumed quickly enough for a horse to recieve the necessary nutrients from them -- my poor mare almost gave up all together!

Personally, I do not believe a trace mineral block to be necessary if you are feeding a ration balancer, or "complete" feed (one that will have the necessary trace minerals implemented in the feed). A great way for horses to receive trace minerals, if needed, though, is through the use of kelp. (This not only supplies the trace minerals, but viola! no tedious chewing/licking work entailed for the horse! :))

10. MistyMorning

MistyMorning Registered