Midwest Horse Fair

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Sempiternal, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Senior Member

Super excited to go and do something other than shopping (and maybe watching one clinician). I'll be bringing my little OTTB mare and riding with other members in the WDCTA demo! :LOL:

Who else is going this year?

2. TheSnowLeopard

TheSnowLeopard Senior Member

Is this the one at the IL State Fair grounds? If so, I live near it and I go every year!

I'm not riding in any clinics this year. I am going to do some shopping. I am going to look for a better fitting dressage saddle and a new helmet this year! Plus, there are always cool clinics and events to watch, and some window shopping to do.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I think it is the one in Madison, Wi. Been there many times, and spent many bucks, lol.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. mustang_dodger

mustang_dodger Senior Member

midwest horse fair in the madison wi one. i will be going!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Ah Balls!!! I won't be there this year! :(.

I just can't do them all - I was far too burnt out last year, so a co-worker is going to this one for me.....it's the only one I could give up in the spring. :'(

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

Totally going. I wish I could come up with an excuse to take my little Fjord cross mare too. She'd love all the attention. It's a fun month. One weekend Midwest Horse Fair, then the next a Comic convention in Chicago, then ROLEX!!!!

7. starrunner

starrunner Senior Member

MWHF is so crazy! Lots of horse people and so many more idiots, LOL. I had kids just randomly run up and grab my horse's leg and she was just like hellpppppp me.

And the number of people with horses that shouldn't be there is always entertaining. Or the year that Parelli had his horse loose in the stallion barn, etc etc. After hours, things always get super fun too. :)

Brought a horse last year and rode in the Jec Ballou clinic and spent all weekend in clipping demos. My horse had patterns and designs clipped all over if anyone has seen that horse.

This year, not bringing anyone, but helping with Morabs and probably the Arabians and I usually end up on stallion row helping with a friend's stallions.

8. Sempiternal

Noooo! Though I totally understand. You travel so much for all the fair and off course there are so many packed into the beginning of the year.

Next year maybe? Of course this year I'll find something totally cool and cheap at the 4h sale. ;)

I didn't here about that! Maybe one of the years I didn't go.

I'll probably be circling back to my mare's stall on a constant basis. She's typically pretty tolerant, but we'll see. She can also be a bit of a firecracker. i'll probably need to haul her out a few more times in addition to our practices and my Jeremy Steinberg clinic so it feels normal again. By October, she was like "whatever, I'm not happy, but whatever I'll just hang out with this mare that I hated at the last show (she's my best friend now because we are trailer buddies)." :LOL: Practice yesterday was a different story, but she was on the buckle by the end.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I know. I'm so sorry! It's an easier show as the boys are there to help and that makes a non-horsey co-worker feel better about traveling alone.

What can I say - I really need to stay home more. It's just getting to be way too much for 1 person to handle on their own. In the last 18 days - I've been home for 2......and I don't get home will Tuesday, so that will make 2 days at home in the last 20! That's A LOT & hubby is missing me.

10. Sempiternal

I made the mistake of going light on the warm-up for this demo and she was a bit of a freight train (holding for a two stride on a line that was about 2 1/2 strides). My release could have been...better, but other than that it was a great weekend and the little red pony did awesome at a very, very busy venue (after trying to climb out of her stall the first day).