Micklem or drop nose bridle in the hunter ring

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by draftmare, Jan 22, 2019.

1. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I am going to be doing a couple of B rated hunter shows in the beginner adult division this year. My horse is a really hard fit when it comes to bridles. She requires a draft sized noseband in most traditional bridles, but often times horse sized cheek pieces, and warmblood sized crown and browband. I bought a bridle this weekend, but without probably punching a hole at the very end of the noseband, it's not going to buckle closed. What does seem to fit her really well is my drop nose bridle and my Micklem bridle. The rules seem to be really vague on the use of anything other than a normal bridle with a normal caveson. Basically saying it is at the judge's discretion on if they mark you down for not using a traditional bridle. Do I risk it? Has anybody else used a non-traditional bridle in the hunter ring?

2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

cannot comment on the rules as I don't know where you are. if it is considered unconventional but allowed (ie you will not be disqualified) than it depends on how much does it matter to you to place and fit in. If you want to be competitive I would find a traditional bridle that fits. It is a subjective sport - if there are two equally nice trips the one that meets the ideal image will edge out the one that does not match that judge's idea of what a hunter round should look like.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Going to be honest here....

Anything outside of what is traditional in the Hunter ring will mean you're score will be lower. That said, I know what you're horse looks like, and the extra color your horse has isn't what the judges will be looking for, so I'm not sure the noseband of choice would change your placings.

Like I said, I was honest. It's the plain simple facts of the Hunter world. I get that it's a B rated show, but they are bringing in judges who are use to the traditional Hunter look, attire & tack. If you want to show in the Hunters and have any chance of pinning, then you do need to follow the tradition and play the game...

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I agree with R&B. By putting that bridle on you lower your score in the hunter ring.

Perhaps you're showing in a small saddle club show or somewhere else where it's not very competitive? Even there, I doubt you'll score well, but others would also be less competitive for various reasons.

Same with a drop noseband.

Most people if a horse gets strong, will use a double twisted wire, a slow twist, or gulp and use a pelham.

But any of those things - the micklem, the dropped noseband, the pelham, make the horse look like she has 'a problem.'

Why don't you just pick up a little extension for the noseband? Cut the end off another caveson and sew a buckle on it.

5. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

No, it's not a little country show. It's a B rated show at a big name barn in our area. I am mostly doing it for fun and to hang out with friends that board at the facility, but I also don't want to stand out like a sore thumb. Because this is just a "side gig" for me I was really hoping to not have to spend a lot of money and make one of my current bridles work. I think I am going to return the bridle I bought this weekend anyway and keep looking. Once I got it out of the tack shop and into daylight I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I did.

6. Smartee Pants

Smartee Pants Senior Member

We've had judges at hunter shows allow the Micklem and others flat out not let us in the class - same show - different judge.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. qhchica

qhchica Senior Member

I wouldn’t do a Micklem or a drop nose band for the hunters. It will definitely lower your placing because you won’t look the part. Traditional is key for the hunters, for attire and any piece of tack. Can you borrow a bridle?

8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

When are the shows? I know someone who could likely make you a cavesson.

9. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I've decided to try a Collegiate bridle. I have the Comfitech and it's the only bridle that has ever been exceptionally massive on her. I had to go all the way up on the noseband instead of all the way down!

Alsosusieq2 and Larkspade like this.