Micklem Bridles

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by dulcietorrans, Oct 12, 2018.

?

Would you ever use a Micklem?

1. Yes

63.6%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It depends on 'x'

36.4%
  1. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

35823841-3F27-4F2F-BB46-98E18DE78977.jpeg
    Like this one!

2. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

Maybe I missed something along the line, but this just looks like a regular flash to me? The Worchester attaches to the bit, if that's what you are referring to.

ginster likes this.
  3. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

Why not get a regular bride

4. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I think the OP was asking about the Micklem because her horse wasn't going well in a regular bridle, and has tried different nosebands already.

5. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

7FCC6948-FC3D-450E-A618-1F17F19EB064.jpeg
    What about these? F7618E9B-EE1B-4257-9090-0088566B23D2.jpeg

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

With the Micklem and Worchester, the cheekpiece and the flash are directly attached to the bit rings.
    The ones you posted look like variations of a figure eight bridle.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  7. SunnyCideBay

SunnyCideBay Registered

Unfortunately, the leather in the $200-300 Micklems are vegetable tanned. It makes them feel sort of plasticy and they take oil terribly. They also crack really bad. If you want to upgrade the leather you can, but to get the English leather version it's about $450 :mad:

8. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I have been going back and forth on the Micklem myself this year. I bought one and hated the leather quality and it started to crack really badly even with careful use so I sold it. I was using my drop nose bridle most of the year no problem until one judge at a USDF show took issue with how it was fitting my horse. Bought a Micklem, again, but once again found myself hating the leather quality. Ended up selling it and having my drop nose bridle modified to be a better fit. Drop nose bridle is Dy'on brand and far above the quality of Micklem and is essentially the same thing.

9. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

Some horses, my own included, do not like having a noseband in the "normal" place. For my mare I think it is because she has fleshy cheeks and a normal noseband pushes her cheeks into her teeth. Riding in a normal noseband vs the drop she is in now has been a night and day difference.

10. aFlamingAngel

aFlamingAngel Senior Member

I use my micklem as a sidepull for hacking around or just whenever I want to ride bitless. I don’t like that it closes the horses mouth shut similar tolike a flash strap does. My horses don’t need it. And yes the leather is really lacking.. hardly bearable. I got mine used I don’t think it’s worth paying full price. I only like mine because have a sheepskin nose band cover and pretty browband