Micklem Bridles

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by dulcietorrans, Oct 12, 2018.

?

Would you ever use a Micklem?

1. Yes

63.6%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It depends on 'x'

36.4%
  1. dulcietorrans

dulcietorrans Registered

2. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

My horse goes in one. I never really questioned it.

3. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I think it depends on your horse. I had no luck with one on a sensitive mare, but some friends have had good results. If you can borrow one to try (some stores also have trial Micklems), it would let you see if it would be a good option to try without having to purchase one.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Nope, I can’t handle the leather quality - it’s terrible!

I’d move to a Winchester noseband before going to a micklem.

I’m sure my opinion is in the minority.

SunnyCideBay likes this.
  5. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

What is that? google search was no help.

6. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I haven't seen the ones made in English leather in person but they look slightly better

7. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I agree with the comments about the leather quality. Always wondered why they used such poor materials. I haven't seen the English leather ones either, so hopefully they are better. Having said that, I know several people who have the original Micklems, and despite their appearance/quality they have held up.

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

It would help if my iphone wouldn't auto correct the spelling on things!!!

Worchester noseband. Here you go:

[​IMG]

Arem, hamerface and CarlisleChipper like this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Yes they definitely have held up....but they look just about as nice as those new $30-70 bridles you can buy. Even the english ones aren't that much better, but yes I will give them the fact that they ARE better.

Honestly, I've schooled many horses through many different evasions. I've never *needed* a micklem bridle. I believe that it's a bit of a hype and makes the rider feel better about what is put on the horses head. If one adjusted a regular bridle properly, then it isn't that far off where a micklem sits. I won't say that micklem's are a fad, or that they serve no purpose, but I will say, they DO transfer the action of the bit to the noseband b/c they only have 1 cheek piece with the bit & noseband are attached together. So I really have to ask if the horses who prefer the micklem prefer it b/c of this fact, or the fact that it by-passes all the facial nerves? Also horses who tend to be inconsistent in the bridle usually don't have a rider with incredibly stable & forgiving hands sitting on them.

Fif had major contact/mouth issues......I still never resorted to the micklem. I did a worchester for a bit and slowly lengthened the straps to the nose band until they were no longer having any effect and then removed them. I also went through 15 dressage legal snaffles till I found the one she liked best. And of course through all that time of playing around with this & that, she became better educated to the bit & bridle and the whole "training/riding" thing. :) She is as steady and into the contact as she has ever been in her life (coach even commented positively about this last time she was here).....but guess what?? The moment someone gets on her who has poor hands, she reverts back to her original tell tale sign of displeasure.....grinding her teeth. She will also grind her teeth if I ask something very difficult or new of her. So again.....no bridle or bit change will ever solve this........correct riding and time will though :)

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  10. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

I have had quite a few TBs go very well in a Micklem. I tend to like them. I think they do make horses quieter and more receptive to the bit, of course this goes hand in hand w correct training...
    I kind of thought they were a fad for a while until I tried to put one of my TBs back into a regular snaffle bridle after training in a Micklem- she was a sensitive horse and told me what she preferred.
    For a lot of horses who aren’t as sensitive or go well in a snaffle bridle, I don’t think putting them in a Micklem has any advantage.

I do wish the leather quality was better. The new ones are better than the old and the English leather ones are even nicer but don’t compare to some of the nice dressage brands. I wish they would make better ones. I think they know that the people who use them will continue to use them regardless of the leather bc it does make a difference.

Baboo likes this.