Men’s or gender neutral (if that’s a thing) western show clothes?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Charliemyheart, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Charliemyheart

Charliemyheart Senior Member

I honestly don’t where to start and how to deal with this stuff. It’s all directed at women and I want nothing to do with that.

Only reason why I own a pair of Women’s boulet boots it because they were the only ones that fit my stupid long narrow feet. (Brown with blue and very plain). I know I am going to have to go back to women’s for boots, but I want to avoid it for the rest at all costs.

I don’t know where to look or even what it should be for men.

2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

What classes will you do? What kind of association?

For both men and women, invest your money in a good hat and chaps that fit you well. Boots should match your chaps.

Plain belt. Plain hat band.

Most likely a button down that's tailored to fit you will work just fine. For halter or showmanship starched jeans, button down, and a blazer or sport coat works just fine.

You'll want a patterned show pad that goes with your shirt.

Most men wear black split leather chaps with tooled yokes. I've seen both black and light/medium oil yokes. Double conchos on the back.

At small shows starched jeans will work fine. Just make sure you've got enough length for them to stack while you're in the saddle.

Alsosusieq2, Arem and DelP like this.
  3. Charliemyheart

@tlwidener looking at Arab and maybe open mostly (gaming as well which is my experience of showing).

Looking at western pleasure not expecting much, but I think it would be fun to get my feet wet (also something for the experience of it, and how nice of a mover she is).

Also might try halter with her.

4. Charliemyheart

And possibly English pleasure. I plan to sit down with my trainer early next month (she right now does Morgan’s but grew up showing Arabs, and still has them.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Gaming is kind of whatever. Many associations wave rules like long sleeves when the weather is beastly.

Helmets are usually optional.

For the English, a very conservative approach is usually best. Tan breeches. Black tall boots. Black belt. White show shirt. Dark jacket; usually solids seem to be preferred.

6. Charliemyheart

I like my brain and it’s already half broken. So unless this mare proves she’s extremely trust worthy it’s going to take a lot for me to forget the helmet.
    (She does get spooky, but mostly she’s um very honest about it I can tell easily.)

And I am regretting letting my field boots go. But they barely fit my legs as it is. Stupid weird legs. Thick calves, thin ankles, narrow feet.:mad:

7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Then get a nice helmet. Black.

If you're going to wear it for everything you might think about a cover for gaming, just to keep it clean and extend its show life.

mooselady likes this.
  8. Charliemyheart

Have one One K™ Defender AIR Suede - Horse Riding Helmets - Equestrian... thankfully. It’s one of the few that fit and I went with suede because I only could afford one.
    (Will be getting a cover within a week or so).

9. Ms_Pigeon

Ms_Pigeon Senior Member

To chime in on English, the nice thing is that men and women tend to dress very similarly (see above!). The only real differences I can think of is that men wear less (or no) "bling" than some women and that men may be seen wearing ties rather than ratcatcher collars.

10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

What size feet? Would you fit a 12" diameter shaft? PM me if youd prefer.